Recent content by PrairieRailfan

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. P

Union Pacific Railroad Unveils Experimental Locomotive to Test Emissions-Reduction Te

Newspaper article and photos at: http://granitebaypt.com/detail/216378.html
  2. P

Swafford’s imagination at work........to you think GE ever make the ES55AC?

A few months ago Trains magazine had a pretty good article on why super high horsepower engines do not fit into the future needs of railroads. Basically it boils down to that if you have a train with three conventional locomotives and one fails, they can still get over the road to the next...
  3. P

Caterpillar - Owner of EMD Locomotives

Prime movers are still being assembled at McCook IL.
  4. P

Trains Magazine Complete Collection 1940-2010

I have access to the hard copies and quite frankly I prefer the digital! A lot easier to search thru even with Trains rather clunky search function. Right now the hard copies are boxed up as I figure out what to do with them.
  5. P

Right of way between Ritzville and Schrag

What state is this?
  6. P

New Cascades Talgo

Looks just like the set recently built for Wisconsin that they've decided to put into storage. Maybe they can get them cheap!
  7. P

Best City or State to live in for rail fanning?

I quickly discovered that it was far faster to drive across town using the side roads than use the expressways. I could get from the suburb of Watauga where I lived to downtown Ft Worth in 15-20 minutes, plus I could check out the railroads along the way
  8. P

Best City or State to live in for rail fanning?

Since I live near Chicago you'd think that I'd nominate the area (too costly, too hard to get around), but instead I'd recommend Ft Worth TX. I lived there for 4 years in the late 90's and what I really loved about it was accessibility, I could get from one end of the city to another in about...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)