Recent content by Pistonescrapprocessing

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. P

Scrapping EMD SD40-2 Locomotives

This is not the NRE Shops in Mount Vernon. I have been by the NRE Shop in Mount Vernon and didn't see any scrapping going on. I did see SD40-2 being cut up outside of the motive power plant in Paducah, KY. It was a joke though. They were a small and I mean very small scrap yard. They were using...
  2. P

Tom I have no problem with you using the pictures at all. I have personally taken about 150 SD40-2 locomotives out of service over the last 2 and 1/2 years. Rough guess but its been a lot of them. The last 4 trains we cut up the numbers 6066,6056, 6079, 6842. We have pictures of most of the...
  3. P

We actually save the traction motor combos. they are cut lose above the connectors dropped and the trucks are pulled out and motors fall to the ground. We do occasionally smash a wire. Whoops. The air brake parts are also recovered so is the ar 10, air compressor, diesel turbo. Its very violent...
  4. P

The horns are removed when they show up to be scrapped. The bells are still attached. Do you want to purchase them? We have always saved a few of them but the rest are scrapped. I would sell anything off of them as long as it wasn't a part for reuse. The number placards, lights, doors, misc...
  5. P

We can handle 3 a week to 4 depending on how busy the yard is shipping and receiving. They are all mostly vintage early 70's. I highly doubt there are any scrappers that can do it as fast as we can. From the tracks to prepared scrap in a matter of days.
  6. P

I know this is my first post and probably one my only posts but I figured since there are so many railroad locomotive fans out there that would be interested in seeing the death kiss to a few SD-40 LOCOS. We are currently in the middle of an ongoing scrapping project involving many of these...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back