Recent content by Pilawt

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Pilawt

German "Jumbo" steam

1941 Krauss-Maffei steam locomotive will be on an excursion run this weekend from Pasing (just west of Munich) to Garmisch. Photo here (link to article in German): http://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/inhalt.pasing-der-jumbo-kehrt-zurueck.d9f9ffc8-2c27-46c4-b4b9-5572bfe676ea.html
  2. Pilawt

What is a good slide converter?

This is what I have; $76 at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ion-audio-film-2-sd-plus-slide-and-negative-scanner-black/8912362.p?id=1218945573931&skuId=8912362 It's not perfect, but you can scan a large number of slides fairly quickly. Here's an example of its scan of an Agfachrome...
  3. Pilawt

German wrap

Nice wrap seen on an Alex locomotive in Munich's Hauptbahnhof, 17 August 2014:
  4. Pilawt

Double-header: Alco PA & Northern!

NKP 190 has just returned to Portland ...
  5. Pilawt

Talgo ferry Move

"With great success" is not the way you'd hear Cascades crewmembers describe the new US-built trainsets. Toilet plumbing stinks up entire cars (very noticeable on the ones I've been on); and from what I'm told by crews, overall reliability has been awful. I'd quote more of what I heard, but...
  6. Pilawt

Here's another photo and a video I just shot a few minutes ago. After the Train Day event at the station closed today, 700 (this time without its diesel helper ... er, help-ee) backed up past the crossovers to switch to the other main line to head back across the Steel Bridge to its home at the...
  7. Pilawt

Wikipedia explains the NKP colors: "No. 18 is privately owned by Doyle McCormack and is being restored to operating condition as Nickel Plate Road No.190. The restored locomotive recreates the first locomotive in which McCormack, whose father worked for the Nickel Plate Road, got to ride."
  8. Pilawt

NKP 190 and SP&S 700 and train reposition into Portland Union Station for tomorrow's Train Day festivities. Note in the first photo the driver doing a double-take and screeching to a halt (it just happens to be my son). This pic was taken from the red car seen in the first photo above...
  9. Pilawt

PV train - with some Amtrak equipment

The Portland section of the Empire Builder arrived here today, with the usual consist of Amtrak cars outnumbered by five private cars.
  10. Pilawt

MoPac in Portland

13 April 2014: UP 1982 leads a UP transfer move to Lake Yard; then the power (UP 1982, UP 7302 and patched ex-SP UP 6415) returns light to Albina.
  11. Pilawt

New Talgo set on Cascades #510 today

See here for photo taken earlier today at Portland.
  12. Pilawt

Trainwrap Madness

The lounge car of the brand new "Mt. Jefferson" Cascades Talgo trainset showed up in a "Portland Is Happening Now" wrap today. :eek: By the way, note one of the features of the new trainsets -- windows in the Bistro car are mounted higher, so customers and crew can actually see outside...
  13. Pilawt

New Talgo set on Cascades #510 today

Contrary to most recent Cascades consists, power was at the north end of this train. And while the usual ex-F40 non-powered cab units are eerily silent except for the sound of the wheels, the new cab car's generator is almost as loud as a powered locomotive. The new trainsets can also be...
  14. Pilawt

Hello from Germany

Welcome, Andreas! Where in Germany are you? I recently returned from a trip to Oberbayern, where I had the pleasure of riding on some wonderful trains: We would be interested to learn more about German railroads here. We look forward to your posts.
  15. Pilawt

Amtrak Heritage 156 leads #11 today (1/3/2014)

The southbound Coast Starlight just coasted into Portland Union Station, with heritage unit 156 on the point:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back