Recent content by martin burwash

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. M

BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

Interesting about the English siding project. I know one of the farmers real well, but he actually leases a little bit of the land from the BNSF on the far north end.
  2. M

GorgeRail 2013

For those interested, here's a link to the show I presented. Big thanks goes to Steve Carter for all his help in putting it together. http://www.photodex.com/share/ottercove/kpk2pmg4
  3. M

SD 60M on the Aniie Branch

BNSF north end fans: a single green/white face BNSF SD 60M is out switching Fredonia on the Anacortes Branch this morning...11/20. Martin Burwash
  4. M

The Railroad Press Magazine

I hope they are. I feel bad that I don't submit more often. For my money, they actually do a very good job with black and white reproduction. I've always been happy with how my photos look in the magazine. Martin Burwash
  5. M

UP/SP in the Far North

A little late, but a northbound freight on the B'ham Sub went past Fir/Conway this morning with a UP and SP unit in consist. BNSF was leading, then the UP with the SP trailing. Might want to watch for them if they return south.... Martin Burwash
  6. M

The Big Year (Movie)

Didn't see the movie but read the book and completely enjoyed it, largely because of the similarities with railfanning! Martin Burwash
  7. M

Steam locomotives stalled in tunnels?

Happened up on the Great Northern's old line to Wellington prior to the eletrification. A passenger train stalled in the original Cascade Tunnel and the head-end crew became unconcious as were many of the passengers. Fortunately, as the story goes, one of the passengers was a rail and was able...
  8. M

old stevens pass route and original Cascade Tunnel

Well, it seems your hind sight is as it always is for us, 20-20. I pretty much disagree on every point you make concerning the factors leading to the Wellington slide, but that's actually a side issue. Again, given what the Board knew in 1925, given the history of the line from 1893-1925, I...
  9. M

Curious, have you been at the Cascade Tunnel and observed a cycle or two? I'm assuming you know of the operational procedures including the door, the variable speeds of the two fans, etc. I ask, because your latest post makes me wonder. On whether or not the location of the current tunnel...
  10. M

To put this discussion in a proper historical context, I'd suggest reading Paper No. 1809 found in Vol. 96, 1932 journal of the American Society of Civil Engineers. It is a three part detailed symposium concerning the construction of the 8-mile tunnel. It gives some insights as to the "why's."...
  11. M

"Route two" was to replace the old switchbacks as mentioned, (which were always viewed as "temporary") and was always a part of the original plan for the GN over Stevens. When Haskell found the pass and he and Stevens surveyed the route, a two mile summit tunnel was part of the alignment. Hill...
  12. M

Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it....when it comes to Stevens Pass the GN/BN/BNSF are smart enough not to repeat it. I also read the TRAINS article, and although the author made an interesting case, he ingored a fair amount of reality. For one, his new proposed line that gave...
  13. M

And what about the old line up Avalanche Alley? Any ideas other than what the GN had to do....cover the entire route with snow sheds.... Martin Burwash
  14. M

Milwaukee road trestle in Tacoma.

Another View Here's a shot I took back in the day: http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/43674/title/super-helper-set/cat/500 Martin Burwash
  15. M

MRL 100256 wrecker

Very cool photos, Brent! Martin Burwash

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)