Recent content by Kevin WS

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Kevin WS

India 2012 - 24: First Class Goa - Mumbai - Pune (50 p.)

I agree with Ed - these are the highlight of my week. Hope your trip was for at least 6 months!!!!! I have also been studying your pictures and the related info, and I am learning quite a lot which will help my own photography. Thank you!
  2. Kevin WS

India 2012 - 23: Goa VI - On Water, Rails and Elephant (50 p.)

Excellent - as always! Still enthusiastically waiting for each episode. Will be sad when you are finished!
  3. Kevin WS

India 2012 - 19: Goa - Diesel in Paradise II: Class Trip Morning (50 p.)

Splendid shots! I am really enjoying this series - immensely!
  4. Kevin WS

South African Class 6E1 Locomotive

Jon, every thing here has changed in the last few years. There have been major line closures all over - the Montague Pass line still exists but has not seen an actual train for a while. You are correct in that a Power Van has been used for tourists, but has now been out of service for 4...
  5. Kevin WS

India 2012 - 16: Pune - I have been to Monkey Hill! (50 p.)

Another enjoyable set of great pictures! Thank you - you have no idea how much pleasure these are giving me!
  6. Kevin WS

South African Class 6E1 Locomotive

Many of these locos remain currently in service - this one was photographed last weekend pulling a freight train in the Johannesburg area. The Class 6E1, Series 4 3 kV DC electric locomotive was designed and built in South Africa between 1973 and 1974. They had sophisticated traction links...
  7. Kevin WS

A lot of pictures from Hanover this month (20p)

Here is the sentence - Ich habe nicht in der Lage, wieder nach Deutschland zurückkehren, so dass ich nicht in der Lage, es zu besuchen. Does that make sense? I hope so! I used Google Translate!
  8. Kevin WS

Wide angle lense question.

Cozmo, An alternative to Sigma is the Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro DX. This is reputed to be a better lens - but I cannot comment as I never seen or handled one. The Sigma 8mm will make a significant difference though and the lower you can get the better, though I do not how extreme the...
  9. Kevin WS

Reason I thought Wolkfsburg is actually the "VW" private railway inside. It is I think the largest operation of its kind in Europe. I have been on a tour of the VW plant and saw part of it and it looked interesting and something not photographed - they generally do not allow photographs. I...
  10. Kevin WS

Lovely set of pics in a very nice part of Germany. See if you can get some pics in Wolfsburg!
  11. Kevin WS

Lens filter question

Tom, while you definitely represent the one point of view, I often prefer to have the protection that a filter offers on my lenses. The Hoya Pro filters are good quality and the Tamron lens is a decent lens worth looking after. Ohle - a polarizer as Pat suggests, would help you with a lot of...
  12. Kevin WS

Darby branch back in business

Brent. Nice shots. The last one is a real cracker!
  13. Kevin WS

India 2012 - 15: Pune - Deccan Queen (50 p.)

Roni, What can I say? These are truly great pictures - you have a superb eye for composition, and this coupled with your digital photo skills have resulted in some memorable shots. And of my favorite subject too! I have looked at all the pics several times over and really enjoy them. I hope...
  14. Kevin WS

Greetings from afar!

Hello everyone! For my sins I currently live in Johannesburg! I enjoy trains - i have an interest in American loco's, make paper models (from time to time), and enjoy train photography - of any railway related subject, from electrics to steam, from railway people to "objects". Ambitions are...
  15. Kevin WS

Greetings from Romania

Mihai - that is a really nice shot! Of a loco too, that not many of us will ever get to see! Kevin

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)