Recent content by Gilbert B Norman

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. G

Line Relocation St. Anton am Arlberg Austria 2000

I've learned that there was a major line change made through this ski resort city during 2000 prompted by a "World Cup" skiing event, resulting in the relocation of the line to the South side of the valley, lengthening of the Arlberg tunnel, and replacing a classic Tyrolean styled station with a...
  2. G

Push for One Man Crews

Mr. RCH, let it be noted that, while most passenger train miles are operated with an Engineer Only crew, Amtrak's Agreement with their Passenger Engineers call for an Assistant Engineer who must be Rules Qualified, qualified to operate the locomotive, and of course is subject to Hours of...
  3. G

Comparing and constrasting MoPac, CB&Q and Rock Island railroads histories...

Mr. Punchy, I don't think the Missouri Pacific and subsidiaries were in that bad shape. I think they came to the Union Pacific with strength and as a means to access Gulf Coast ports; they were profitable through their merger with the UP. Could have they have made it independently, as has the...
  4. G

Why is BNSF not repainting their old diesel locomotives to the new paint scheme?

Mr. Anderson, from your Dec 2 posting, I note your inquiry whether or not the KCS is a Class I; be it assured it is one of the seven so designated by the "Surf Board" (STB). Aside from the Big Four, the other two are the Grand Trunk Corporation, comprising all of CN's US properties, and the SOO...
  5. G

What kinds of freight does the Kansas City Southern specialize in carrying?

This is an interesting topic regarding the "forgotten Class I" - the KCS. Now that they enjoy some kind of trackage arrangement over the former MILW, they are in a position to interchange traffic with the SOO (MILW) at either Twin Cities or Chicago affording participation in Lakes to Gulf...
  6. G

Discovered; Joined Up

I am a retired CPA, age 73, who resides in Clarendon Hills, IL; my home is in sight of the BNSF Chicago Sub at Milepost 18.70. However, after graduating from University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign during June 1970, I was with the Milwaukee Road , where I held various non-Agreement...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back