Recent content by bhil3

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. B

Winter Sunlight Problems

I often refer to the winter sunshine as "brutal" especially on my drive east in the morning and west in the afternoon. I know one spot I love to park and railfan is almost unusable in the winter if sunny due to it's south facing direction. I can't even see the display on the camera to know...
  2. B

scanner frequencies

CN railroad, I was in Brantford at the time I noticed this.
  3. B

scanner frequencies

I haven't been out much railfanning over the winter, but finally got out in the last couple of weeks. My scanner sits there silent. I even was at the station/yard and watch the local switch crew at work. I could see the guy talking into his unit, but heard nothing on my scanner. I used to...
  4. B

Backwards situation!

We have all seen freight trains hauling semi trailers. I was at a place in Hamilton, Ontario near National Steel Car where this car was made, and saw this Arcelor Mittal freight car sitting on top of a semi trailer!
  5. B

NS fumbles slow order request, town parade almost hit

Wow, close. Good thing one of the floats wasn't in process of crossing!
  6. B

Winter Solstice Railfanning

Nice shots, and I like how the light was behind, not "in your face" which has happened to me more times than I like to remember.
  7. B

neat big bridge.

Burlington, Ontario, over Plains Road.
  8. B

neat big bridge.

I was impressed by this bridge, at a sharp angle to the road, probably a 35 degree or so.
  9. B

Oglebay Norton car on CN line

This one came to the bridge, stopped and left, but I quickly got a pic of this interesting name on a car. I see it is marked as ITGX Which is ITG Inc, which still means nothing to me.
  10. B

Lapeyrouse grain!

I am really quite surprised by how many DM&E cars I see in the yard here in Ontario! I like it when I find an interesting or unusual name on a car, that is why the pic was taken.
  11. B

CN in Green Bay, WI.

It is still soooooooooo weird for me to see CN going through Green Bay. When I grew up here years ago there was C&NW, Milwaukee Road, and Green Bay and Western. Now all 3 are fallen flags. The old Milwaukee road tracks are completely gone except for a few remnant tracks in their former yard...
  12. B

Mammoet Heavy Haul Equipment

Very cool pics!
  13. B

CEFX engine on CN mainline

I noticed that, on the March 25 incredible lashup video I did at the CP line in Milton there was a large CEFX engine, not the local switching variety. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvFnOKl7AF4
  14. B

CEFX engine on CN mainline

That seems to be the case with CEFX all over, I guess for smaller railroads leasing is a cheaper alternative than purchasing.
  15. B

worked on a railroad scale

This particular scale is for static weighing not in motion. With the Canac rep, a Measurement Canada rep, and 2 from our scale company we were done in 3 hours with having to make adjustments.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)