BNSF Locomotive Renumbering

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ECIRailfan

BNSF is acquiring 275 more ES44C4s, to be numbered 8007-8281, requiring the renumbering of BNSF's SD60Ms, SD75Ms, and SD75Is.

It has been confirmed that BNSF's SD75 fleet (8200-8301) is being renumbered into the 200-301 series. Those that were already in service at the time of this decision will be renumbered as time allows, while the ones that were stored at NRE are being renumbered as they are put into service.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3750180

This, in turn, is requiring the renumbering of BNSF's slugs that were previously in the 200 series, notably the TEBC6s (previously BNSF 250-260). These are being numbered between 50-60.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3753489

Supposedly, BNSF is also renumbering their remaining SD60Ms (those not returned to NRE or sold to Progress Rail) between 1400 and 1476. No pictures of units have surfaced with these numbers, however. Pictures of "BNSF 169" and "177" have surfaced, supposedly improperly renumbered SD60Ms. Apparently 169 has since been renumbered to 1446...but no pictures have surfaced. Here's a pic each of 169 and 177.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3772523
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3786091

Other, at this time unconfirmed, reports of BNSF roster changes have also been reported as well...they are listed below.

BNSF 159-162 (GP60Ms) being renumbered to 142, 144, 148, 152 respectively (to fill spots of previously wrecked GP60Ms)
BNSF 8700-8739 (GP60s) being renumbered to 159-197 (to go with other GP60s)
BNSF 168-169 (GP60s) being renumbered to 198-199
BNSF 170 (GP60 rebuilt from GP60B) to BN 200...more on the BN mark later.
BNSF 8600-8639 (B40-8s) being renumbered to 560-597 (to go with B40-8Ws)
BNSF 3200-3205, 3207 (GP50s) being renumbered to 3100-3106

Additionally, there are rumors that BNSF is giving some of these renumbered locomotives (supposedly the TEBC6s, SD60Ms and the GP60B rebuild) "BN" reporting marks. However, pictures of these renumbered units show no external BN reporting marks, so I'm doubting it.

If anybody could confirm any of the unconfirmed reports or add on to this in any way, that would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!

Additionally, there are rumors that BNSF is giving some of these renumbered locomotives (supposedly the TEBC6s, SD60Ms and the GP60B rebuild) "BN" reporting marks. However, pictures of these renumbered units show no external BN reporting marks, so I'm doubting it.

New guy here, what does BN reporting marks mean?

New guy here, what does BN reporting marks mean?

Every piece of railroad equipment has a reporting mark which identifies its owner plus the equipment's unique number. The reporting mark of the Burlington Northern was BN and all BN equipment was numbered BN XXXXX. After the Burlington Northern merged with the Santa Fe to become the Burlington Northern Santa Fe, the reporting mark of the new railroad became BNSF and equipment was renumbered BNSF XXXXX.

Each piece of equipment must have its unique number. Some of the very large railroads are running out of numbers, especially those which own thousands of coal hoppers. One solution to this problem without having to resort to using seven and eight digits is to use reporting marks of predecessor roads. If BNSF revived the BN reporting mark, it could start duplicating numbers. An engine with a reporting mark of BN 123 would not be the same engine as BNSF 123. A freight car numbered BN 12345 would not be the same freight car as one numbered BNSF 12345.

The Union Pacific has been doing this by reviving reporting marks which go way back to the predecessor roads of some of its merger partners.

Thanks Bill. This is very interesting. This seems it would be confusing at some point for those that care about what was absorbed by BNSF from BN and what BN absorbed from NP etc. versus what was made new after merger and given old company reporting marks.

BNSF is acquiring 275 more ES44C4s, to be numbered 8007-8281, requiring the renumbering of BNSF's SD60Ms, SD75Ms, and SD75Is.

It has been confirmed that BNSF's SD75 fleet (8200-8301) is being renumbered into the 200-301 series. Those that were already in service at the time of this decision will be renumbered as time allows, while the ones that were stored at NRE are being renumbered as they are put into service.

Supposedly, BNSF is also renumbering their remaining SD60Ms (those not returned to NRE or sold to Progress Rail) between 1400 and 1476. No pictures of units have surfaced with these numbers, however. Pictures of "BNSF 169" and "177" have surfaced, supposedly improperly renumbered SD60Ms. Apparently 169 has since been renumbered to 1446...but no pictures have surfaced. Here's a pic each of 169 and 177.

If anybody could confirm any of the unconfirmed reports or add on to this in any way, that would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!

As I run my train by the roundhouse each day, I look over at what units are there. I did see the BNSF 1446, SD60M on a ready track. Some of the SD75s have been slow to have their numbers changed. Haven't seen any other SD60Ms recently that have their numbers changed. I see some between Everett and Seattle on the transfer trains with their old numbers still.

As I run my train by the roundhouse each day, I look over at what units are there. I did see the BNSF 1446, SD60M on a ready track. Some of the SD75s have been slow to have their numbers changed. Haven't seen any other SD60Ms recently that have their numbers changed. I see some between Everett and Seattle on the transfer trains with their old numbers still.

Thanks BNSFEng! Some pictures of 14xx SD60Ms have now showed up on RRPA, among other sites.

Additionally, the B40-8 renumbering to the 5xx series has been confirmed, as SD70ACe deliveries approach the 86xx series. At least 1 has been renumbered so far, to 564.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3821433

Depending on how many SD70ACes BNSF plans on getting, that'll probably push the GP60s into their "new" number series when the SD70ACes reach the 8700s.

Another update: Having rode on the BNSF on the SW Chief, I was able to observe some renumbered slugs

The TEBC6s (and all BNSF slugs) were renumbered from the 2xx series to the xx series, and the slugs did receive BN reporting marks, so as to not mess with BNSF's business car numbering. On units such as ATSF patches, they just covered up the "SF" of the reporting mark, but on repainted ones (such as the three TEBC6s I saw) they removed the second half of the BNSF Swoosh logo, which looked interesting to say the least. Sadly, I did not have a camera with which to take any photos.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back