What Boots Do You Wear?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.


I'm a BNSF conductor, but I most often work as a yard foreman/helper (which means I spend almost all my time on ballast). Since they were buying, I got Red Wing King Toe boots and I'm pretty happy with them. I tried a couple different insoles, including Red Wing's insoles, but I am most happy with the Dr. Schol's black and blue insoles. They aren't waterproof, but that's no big deal. I put each foot in a gallon ziploc bag then put the boots on when I know I'm going to be working in water. Then I don't have a care in the world if my boots get wet because my feet stay dry. Also, I take full advantage of the fact that the Red Wing store will give me all the laces I need and apply mink oil once a month, which will help waterproof the boots. My only complaint is the soles don't hold up well to sidewall heaters - I nearly melted them all the way down one cold, wet night!
 
I have worked for CN for 27 years and work in Montreal, Canada. My boots are STC's which are a durable and very comfortable boot. Warm and dry in winter and not overly warm in summer. The Gore-tex is great. Only drawback is the leather boots are a little heavier than the redwings and danners, and they are not cheap.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I've been retired for 10 years now, (Locomotive Engineer), my preferences over my working time was Redwings.
 



Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top