Valve gear remote troubleshooting

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

SteamTec

Dr. Valve Gear ;-)
How it started:

After a period of calculating valve gears in MS Excel, many years ago I did some successful quick troubleshooting for a small 600 mm gauge steam loco's valve gear that was performing very poorly.
We measured the piston and valve positions in 4 steps, I drew an Excel diagram ellipse, extracted the proportional part of valve piston movement, calculated the new dimension of a lever bearing position via the rule of three. All this was done within about two hours. Then the loco's owner made two new levers (some kind of combination lever, for Hackworth valve gear) from flat steel, and the loco got back its power like in new state, or even more.

Now I own a valve gear simulation software with optional semi-automatic pre-optimization since more than 15 years, and now also with an additional highly flexible new solver tool on top, which allows me to rapidly simulate and analyze your Walschaerts valve gear (other types currently to be modeled in MS Excel, or to be newly implemented in my software) and find the point to be modified, possibly even starting from a photo and some measured coordinates of piston and valve position.

What we offer: Valve gear remote troubleshooting!

There are two options how remote troubleshooting can be started:
  • Option #1 Valve Gear Troubleshooting by diagram: A valve event diagram is taken by the operating crew moving the steam locomotive step by step and measuring the piston relative position and according valve piston relative position for each step at certain degrees of cylinder filling from outside the cylinders, so far no cylinder needs to be opened!
  • Option #2 Valve Gear Troubleshooting by geometry: A valve event diagram is created by our software, based on valve gear dimensions measured and entered by the operating crew. This option allows us to massively reduce our workload and offer extremely competitive pricing.
Further steps:
  • We check whether the diagrams look good or the valve gear should be modified.
  • If the diagrams look good, the reason for bad valve events must be looked for in the valve piston environment or setting, and modification of parts is not required.
  • If the diagrams do not look good, the valve events are compared to an optimized version of the valve gear with ideal valve events. This comparison shows which parts of the valve gear to modify and how. For this, in case of option #1 some parts or (only if necessary) all parts are measured.

How easy it already could be:

At the beginning of this year, the owner of a 15" gauge steam loco for a fun park asked for access to my valve gear design program to check his loco's valve gear.
He modeled the current kinematic skeleton dimensions and later on asked me for advice.
I roughly modeled a version with automatically pre-optimized dimensions and noticed soon that my angle between the main pin and the eccentric crank pin was nearly an exact mirror image to his one. So I told him to check if his drive axle could be mounted in wrong orientation... and he confirmed!

There are very different reasons why someone asked for support, but our highly efficient software allows us to concentrate on the overall image of valve gear behaviour instead of loosing lots of time by fiddling with detail parameters. So I am optimistic that we can help out in very most of all cases with highest efficiency.

I really would appreciate to support you via remote troubleshooting to help you getting an excellently working valve gear.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back