Regional Rail Express - 63: Transilvania VI (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Regional Rail Express - 62: Transilvania V (50 p.)

May 1 2023

We walked on the promenade along Crișul Repede river. Many historic buildings have been nicely renovated, some are in disrepair.
heck6301.jpg

Neolog synagogue of Oradea from 1905.
heck6302.jpg

Greek-Catholic cathedral, St. Ladislaus I church and city hall.
heck6303.jpg

I like the design of the main public transport stop at Piaţa Unirii - modern but reminiscent of art nouveau.
heck6304.jpg

Sadly, only buses departing here at the moment.
heck6305.jpg

heck6306.jpg

The Greek-Catholic bishop's palace - erected in 1905 by Kálmán Rimanóczy - had replaced a baroque building.
heck6307.jpg

Black Eagle palace, 1907-08.
heck6308.jpg

It encompasses a whole art nouveau shopping mall.
heck6309.jpg

The Deutsch house to the right, a former glassware store built by Károly Deutsch 1906-1910.
heck6310.jpg

We walked back, now the facades facing west already were slightly lit by the sun. Moskovits Miksa palace.
heck6311.jpg

You can stay overnight right next door to it.
heck6312.jpg

I rested until half past six at Hotel Stokker, then went on an evening photo session - first a few city blocks further west to reach active streetcar lines.
Tatra KT4DM 206 (ex-Berlin 6073) operated on line 8 Pod CFR (terminal near a bridge of the railroad towards Arad across Crișul Repede) - Ioșia and met a brand-new Astra Imperio on line 4 Ioșia - Nufărul near Bulevardul Dacia stop. The reformed church of Rogerius district in the background.
heck6313.jpg

These street markings could be found often in this part of the city.
heck6314.jpg

Parc Olosig stop.
heck6315.jpg

heck6316.jpg

202 (ex-Berlin 6072) in front of the most flowering apartment block facade I have ever come across.
heck6317.jpg

2020-21 twenty Astra Imperio Oradea units had been delivered, built in Romania on the base of the Siemens Avenio:

heck6318.jpg

This font is widely used by Viennese public transport... ;-)
heck6319.jpg

heck6320.jpg

I waited for another meeting, then walked along Strada Lacul Roșu...
heck6321.jpg

... and arrived at the well-known photo bridge of Strada Teodor Neș. IRC 628 658 appeared half an hour delayed at 6:22 p.m. coming from Arad and Timișoara.
heck6322.jpg

Former Westerwaldbahn 628 677 at the rear of the train, to the right the tower of the reformed church Rét.
heck6323.jpg

heck6324.jpg

View towards the main station and older vehicles in the yard.
heck6325.jpg

Long-distance IR 1833 Iași – Timișoara punctual as usual.
heck6326.jpg

Panoramic image with Catholic cathedral.
heck6327.jpg

Overnight express IRN 1742 Satu Mare - Bucharest consisted of eight cars on this holiday evening, hauled by two GMs past the dilapidated depot including a roundhouse with turntable and water tower.
heck6328.jpg

heck6329.jpg

heck6330.jpg

Stabled IRC DMU.
heck6331.jpg

IR 1533 Timișoara - Satu Mare reversing direction at Oradea station, a Siemens Desiro unit.
heck6332.jpg

heck6333.jpg

We leave Füstös bridge; the original had been erected around the turn of the century but has been completely replaced since.
heck6334.jpg

Plenty of traffic on land and in the air.
heck6335.jpg

Next, our star train: IR 143 "Transilvania" Vienna - Cluj was scheduled to arrive at 7:44 p.m. - not a lot of time to spare until sunset. It had arrived quite punctually at the border, but delays could always happen during border checks. The delay would only be displayed online once it departed nearby Episcopia Bihor.
I had walked through a park with playground to get a different perspective. Yes, at last it was shown 11 minutes late and already rolled past me at 7:50 p.m. in perfect glint.
heck6336.jpg

Jimmy #1000 hauled the express.
heck6337.jpg

The entrance to the depot and bridge in last evening light.
heck6338.jpg

Iuliu Bodola stadium of FC Bihor had been built partly over the neighboring street. These stands looked quite desolate, only other sides of the stadium were in active use.
We could rest in our room until before midnight, then we walked to the station. In the distance we just heard the GM-rumbling of five minutes delayed "Corona" Budapest - Brașov.
heck6339.jpg

The steamers on display even are partly lit at night.
heck6340.jpg

A nice-looking IRC 628 behind them.
heck6341.jpg

The platform tracks also are used to stable units for the next morning.
heck6342.jpg

IRN 404 "Corvin" with our sleeping car to Vienna right behind 064 1300 appeared punctual to the second.
heck6343.jpg

heck6344.jpg

August 5 2018

I had only stayed shortly on the station square in midsummer heat carrying luggage five years earlier.
heck6345.jpg

A cool waiting room with a view – perfect under the circumstances.
heck6346.jpg

Our buddy 65-1300 in old numbering scheme arrived with international RE 365 from Püspökladány. The same cars will return to Hungary as R 6811 via Valea lui Mihai towards Debrecen.
heck6347.jpg

Orient Express? Nope, wrong series!
64 0920 in "Rom" candy bar design (also available as popsicle to cool off) passed by.
heck6348.jpg

Former DB 624 647 as TFC service to Cluj.
heck6349.jpg

We are about to leave Romania and explore the rest of the line into Hungary. Together with a bunch of backpackers, I took my reserved seat booked one week in advance at Debrecen on board of IR 366 "Harghita" Brașov - Budapest.
heck6350.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back