Nostalgic May 9: Severn Railway Diesel Gala I (50 p. + 1 v.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Nostalgic May 8: Isle of Wight - Worcestershire (50 p.)

The new video for this part:

May 17 2023

I changed from the modern railway station to the Severn Valley Railway heritage terminal on the same square. Kidderminster Town (traditional naming of the second GWR station in the same town) is a replica of a Victorian terminus:

You might guess the history of this engine by its shape without knowing any background.
mainost0901.jpg

It's Warship class 42 D821 "Greyhound" newly restored in BR blue, a "British DB V200" with licensed Maybach engines:

mainost0902.jpg

Diesel-hydraulic results of the partly disastrous postwar BR modernisation plan united - 60-year-old class 52 D1062 "Western Courier" in front:

mainost0903.jpg

Hardly any other heritage railway location offers such a main station atmosphere.
mainost0904.jpg

Coronation decoration.
mainost0905.jpg

I picked up coloured wristbands for the gala days I had booked online from the ticket counter. No services ran that Wednesday, so I had to walk to the bus stop.
mainost0906.jpg

My base Bewdley, lovely neighbouring town of Kidderminster on the River Severn. Below: Some impressions from the long-distance trail Severn Way in the valley north of the town.
mainost0907.jpg

My accommodation was the half-timber Severn Valley Guest House. The view from my tiny room in contrast to the untypically huge one where I had stayed at Bournemouth. The two class 20s have been inserted from the first gala day. Due to the wall on the bridge north of Bewdley station, you can't see much of the train.
mainost0908.jpg

May 18 2023

Breakfast at 7:30 a.m. in the guest house café, the railway viaduct outside. The room soon filled with like-minded guests.
mainost0909.jpg

Bewdley heritage railway station, two minutes’ walk away.
mainost0910.jpg

mainost0911.jpg

The first train of the four-day gala event arrived at 8:10 a.m. hauled by 31466 in EWS livery (originally Wisconsin Central colours):

mainost0912.jpg

mainost0913.jpg

I took a seat in a compartment with some local rail enthusiasts and had a nice chat. For an impression from the ride, see the start of the video.

It was my first visit to the line since my first pure railway photo trip around the UK and Ireland in 2007 (also my first travel report in this format). Pictures from back then mainly with steam - this time I tried to cover some alternative spots (currently only available in German - please use autotranslate):

And now... it's: Part 4 - Severn Valley (50 p.)

After arrival at the current northern Severn Valley Railway terminal Bridgnorth:

mainost0914.jpg

Larger modern engine sheds are located here.
mainost0915.jpg

31466 reversing.
mainost0916.jpg

mainost0917.jpg

I explored the surroundings while waiting for the next arrival.
mainost0918.jpg

mainost0919.jpg

Western Class D1062 "Western Courier" approached slightly early at 9:20 a.m., 25 minutes behind my train. As you may notice, an ambitious schedule for a 16-mile single track heritage line - this was about to stay one of the few punctual arrivals that day. Class 20 20142 "Sir John Betjeman" to the right would enter service later:

mainost0920.jpg

mainost0921.jpg

I boarded the first train back, pulled again by 31466.
Photo taken from the window leaving Bridgnorth - we already have experienced the only preserved Clayton class 17 D8568 in action, four days before in the south:

mainost0922.jpg

I got off at Highley and quickly walked south along the lovely Severn Way across blooming meadows. Almost halfway to the next station - Arley - you come across this sheepwalk.
However, something was not right - no train had passed by yet, not even the one I had arrived with...
mainost0923.jpg

Finally, I heard rumbling from the north at 10:30, and 31466 approached with my train half an hour delayed. I never learnt the exact problem, but it was a very ambitious schedule with additional shorter round trips to Arley and Highley in between. Later - at Arley station - I heard railwaymen grumbling about another train coming to reverse here. Still, they stuck to the program with some minor changes and ran almost every service delayed until the evening hours.
At least I did not miss anything this way... :)
mainost0924.jpg

Borle Brook viaduct to the left, River Severn to the right.
mainost0925.jpg

Most trains towards Kidderminster accelerate at this spot, see video from second 37.
mainost0926.jpg

mainost0927.jpg

40106 "Atlantic Conveyor" approaching from Arley fifteen minutes later:

We already have seen 40145 on this trip.
mainost0928.jpg

mainost0929.jpg

I have cropped the vegetation slightly virtually in some pictures. Overall, this is a beautiful spot with good visibility of the line. There are not too many publicly reachable visible sections of the railway. I had noticed a single rail photographer standing on a ladder passing by in the morning on the ridge next to the train. We briefly chatted, then he left. Otherwise, no further rail enthusiast appeared while I was waiting there.
mainost0930.jpg

mainost0931.jpg

D1062 "Western Courier" Bridgnorth - Kidderminster approached punctually at 11:19 a.m.
mainost0932.jpg

mainost0933.jpg

The loco thundered past exactly in the spotlight - see video at minute 2:00. I sometimes held the camera above my head on this spot - in this case I kept it lower to line up the telegraph pole with the gap in the treeline.
mainost0934.jpg

mainost0935.jpg

BR Class 50 50035 "Ark Royal" showed up next at 11:30 towards Bridgnorth - a class 37 should have hauled this service. 50021 had been captured near Corfe Castle earlier in this series.
mainost0936.jpg

Camera positioned above the head.
mainost0937.jpg

mainost0938.jpg

Colas Rail 56051 "Survival" + DBSO set + 47712 "Lady Diana Spencer" in Scotrail livery on a shorter trip reversing at Highley:

mainost0939.jpg

The train returning 14 minutes later.
Class 47 was the most-built mainline diesel engine in Britain with more than 500 produced locos:

To reminisce, 47760 "Restless" (later "Ribblehead Viaduct", nowadays preserved with West Coast Railways) conveyed me and my family from Aberdeen to Edinburgh in 1995 on the Caledonian Sleeper to London:

mainost0940.jpg

mainost0941.jpg

33108 + 20142, newly in operation from Bridgnorth.
mainost0942.jpg

31270 "Athena" and 31466 Kidderminster - Bridgnorth.
mainost0943.jpg

40106 returned from Bridgnorth at 2 p.m.
mainost0944.jpg

English Electric Type 4 accelerating with the well-known apocalyptic sound, see video at minute 4:44.
mainost0945.jpg

mainost0946.jpg

What I had waited for: D821 "Greyhound" appeared back in the valley an hour later than planned - 2:13 instead of 1:13 p.m.
I had forgotten my sunscreen in the room - it was sunnier than expected and I kept standing on the pasture for four hours. So, I brought home a sunburn from a May vacation in England while parts of Central and Southern Europe were drowning in floods. Other dangers lurked as well: suddenly, the sheep bleated and threw themselves to the ground - seconds later a whole beehive buzzed past a few metres above our heads.
mainost0947.jpg

mainost0948.jpg

mainost0949.jpg

Finally, I could walk on and enjoy the Severn Way. I had an almost surreal horse-encounter at one of the next pastures - better see for yourself in the video! :-0

mainost0950.jpg

Next time, we will continue with lots of diesel action at Arley and Bewdley stations - plus the sun making a reappearance in the evening. :)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back