Nostalgic May 11: Watercress, Steam and Morning Take-off (50 p., 1 v.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Nostalgic May 10: Severn Railway Diesel Gala II (50 p.)

The new video:

May 19 2023

I walked over to modern Kidderminster station after 10 a.m.
mainost1101.jpg

A West Midlands Railway class 172/2 took me to the historic second station of Birmingham, Moor Street.
mainost1102.jpg

View to the south, tracks from the bay platforms joining from the right.
mainost1103.jpg

Chiltern Railways trains towards London depart here:

Bull Ring is an important Birmingham marketplace since the Middle Ages:

mainost1104.jpg

The Selfridges building:

mainost1105.jpg

mainost1106.jpg

mainost1107.jpg

I boarded a class 168 "Clubman" for the two-hour journey to London. You just have to be careful with air conditioned coaches on such trips... I have no idea why people would want freezing temperatures. I always take warm clothes with me, even in hottest summer.
mainost1108.jpg

Chiltern Railways serves one of many Victorian termini in London. Marylebone had been opened in 1899 by the Great Central Railway:

We already visited the heritage remains of the Great Central Railway at the start of the series:
Nostalgic May 2: Rocketman (50 p.)

And several times before (currently only available in German, please use autotranslate):

Orange - Blue Season (50 p.)

The Great Britain II - 10: Great Central (50 p.)

And now... it's: Part 1 - Great Central (50 p.)

mainost1109.jpg

mainost1110.jpg

The short London stay enabled me to purchase some Oyster cards for an upcoming trip, then the Bakerloo Line took me directly to Waterloo.
mainost1111.jpg

mainost1112.jpg

In the background the London Eye and the rounded roof of former Waterloo International station where Eurostars had departed for the continent since 1994 until the terminal was moved to the freshly refurbished St. Pancras in 2007. In the meantime, the platforms have found use for national services again.
A video taken by me in summer 1995:

mainost1113.jpg

I had booked a hotel at Alton. Unusually for this line, the service consisted of longer distance five-part class 444 units instead of the suburban four-part class 450. Announcements were made which doors could be used at stops with shorter platform lengths along the branch line to Alton.
mainost1114.jpg

mainost1115.jpg

May 20 2023

A short excursion back to the South West Main Line at Brookwood early Saturday morning.
mainost1116.jpg

The London Necropolis is adjacent, once accessible by rail from the other side of this platform.

mainost1117.jpg

mainost1118.jpg

South Western Railway class 158 and 159 DMUs continue with services to Exeter on the West of England line.
mainost1119.jpg

mainost1120.jpg

LMS Jubilee class 5596 (BR 45596) "Bahamas" (North British Locomotive Company, Glasgow #24154 / built in 1935) hauled the Railway Touring Company charter "The Atlantic Coast Express" from Waterloo to Exeter:

The charter changed to the outer track right in front of the station which was not ideal for pictures - but at least the crew opened the regulator nicely. See video:

mainost1121.jpg

mainost1122.jpg

mainost1123.jpg

I walked to the Mid-Hants heritage railway - known as "Watercress Line" – accessible from Alton station after breakfast.

mainost1124.jpg

mainost1125.jpg

mainost1126.jpg

mainost1127.jpg

One steam loco for the two-train timetable failed, so 47579 "James Nightall GC" replaced it. Named after a 22-year-old fireman who had separated burning munitions wagons from a goods train in 1944:

mainost1128.jpg

I took a seat for the short ride to the next station.
mainost1129.jpg

We have arrived at Medstead and Four Marks, the highest standard gauge station in Southern England at 644 feet above sea level. The name refers to two separate villages, "four marks" means "four borders".
mainost1130.jpg

mainost1131.jpg

mainost1132.jpg

Finally, the second steam locomotive of the day, London & South Western Railway Urie S15 class 506 (Eastleigh / built in 1920):

The accompanying soundtrack:

mainost1133.jpg

A perfectly matched green ensemble.
mainost1134.jpg

As no train meeting was planned, the engine rolled a little too far ahead for further pictures - I only recorded some audio of the departure.
mainost1135.jpg

mainost1136.jpg

Spring cleaning of fire extinguishing buckets.
mainost1137.jpg

I captured the arriving diesel train from above - the steam train was about to cross here.
mainost1138.jpg

mainost1139.jpg

It returned at 12:15.
mainost1140.jpg

mainost1141.jpg

A picture of Clapham Junction at the Alton heritage platform.
mainost1142.jpg

Clapham Junction nowadays, an hour later.
mainost1143.jpg

Next generation SWR "Arterio" units only commenced regular service in January 2024, as so often after years of delays:

mainost1144.jpg

Saturday afternoon, the station was full of empty bottles, drunk groups and people trying to marshal them.
mainost1145.jpg

I took a train to Feltham and a double-decker bus to a hotel near Heathrow.
mainost1146.jpg

May 21 2023

My Austrian flight to Vienna was the first take-off Sunday morning at 6 o'clock, see video for complete scene...
Morning fog and sunlight on the meandering Thames and central London.
mainost1147.jpg

mainost1148.jpg

Lewisham in the centre, Grove Park station to the bottom right.
mainost1149.jpg

We left the island above Ramsgate.
mainost1150.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back