19th century track laying

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

fly_sail

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so if this topic has already been covered forgive me. I did search but didn't find anything.

I am interested in the logistics of building a railroad from the viewpoint of getting all the materials to the end of the line in the context of the late 19th century.

i have found references to rail mounted steam shovels that were used to prepare the sub grade. The temporary track for that was placed directly on the sub grade. As the sub grade was prepared new rail was laid on the new surface and the shovel moved ahead. The rail behind the shovel was taken up before ballast was laid. How did they transfer the ballast, which presumably was brought up from behind on the finished rail in gondolas, ahead and compact it? Surely not manually. A car loaded with thirty tons of rock is a hell of project to unload with shovels even if the car dumps the rock first. And that much ballast probably doesn't even extend the line the length of the gondola.

I would appreciate any leads or thoughts you can give me on this subject.

fly_sail

Along those lines, look for old photos of these roads, which were built around the time period you are interested in:
1) Construction of the Milwaukee Road's Pacific Extension, started in April 1906. Milwaukee Road West (Charles & Dorothy Wood, Superior Publishing) has some photos of the construction.
2) Construction of the Spokane, Portland, and Seattle Railroad, started in 1907.
3) Construction of the Great Northern's original Cascade Tunnel, started in 1900.
4) Construction of the Western Pacific. It was formed in 1903 and completed in 1909.

Last edited:
Horses and scrapers form subgrade. Ties and rails carried forward from flatcars and assembled on subgrade. Ballast last.

I never saw anything quite like you described.

Do an image search, specifying black and white, then ignore the obviously modern ones.

Here's a start.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=track+laying&t=ffsb&atb=v169-1&iax=images&ia=images&iaf=color:Monochrome

Bruce
Thanks. I just assumed sub ballast was laid, then the ties and rail and then the upper ballast. But this is obviously how its done now and not then.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back