Windmill Blades and the Ocean View

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

stlgevo51

Steam Chaser
Disclaimer, these shots aren't very good!

On the Saturday before Easter, I made my way to Kirkwood to catch Amtrak's only great dome, Ocean View, running on the Missouri River Runner for a week. I didn't get any shots of it in sun, but it still was cool to see. Also included is a coal drag that came through a few minutes before.
7107914039_e376b07c6f.jpg
Cloudy Coal Drag by stlgevo51, on Flickr
7107914081_486cf12e5a.jpg
Amtrak 313 with the Great Dome by stlgevo51, on Flickr

On Saturday, I had a few hours to myself, so I went to the Chester Sub in hopes of catching a windmill special rumored to be coming northbound. A quick check of UP's trace confirmed my thoughts that I might miss it by only a few minutes, but luckily it stopped south of Dupo. Two other northbounds (and auto and the second train shown), were waiting ahead of the special. Finally, after over an hour of waiting, the train moved through Dupo. The Chester Sub was busy, with 7 trains moving at the south end of Dupo yard in an hour span. Also included is a southbound manifest with an SD40-2, not commonly seen on the UP. Though the 45 blades were cool, poor sun angles and high sun made good shooting non-existent. Hopefully I can get another one of these cool specials soon.
6961852604_a6ba2e89cb.jpg
Windmills directly Out of the Sun by stlgevo51, on Flickr
6961852608_d37d25fa2b.jpg
Uniformity by stlgevo51, on Flickr

What Is UP Thinking? by stlgevo51, on Flickr
6961852688_c297c80892.jpg
Windmill Blades-My Luck by stlgevo51, on Flickr
6961852696_7fb95c6361.jpg
Blades-One more Time by stlgevo51, on Flickr

And last but not least, the last GWWR unit on KCS' roster, GWWR 1504. I've shot this thing a few times before, but I couldn't pass up another sunny roster shot.
6961852704_b166a17efe.jpg
GWWR 1504-Not So Pristine by stlgevo51, on Flickr
Thanks for looking!

B_Kosanda

Outstanding In My Field
I will be heading over to the Chester Sub soon. I'm waiting for a sunny day. It's a fur piece from my house.

Bill

stlgevo51

Steam Chaser
I will be heading over to the Chester Sub soon. I'm waiting for a sunny day. It's a fur piece from my house.

Bill
Good luck! It really is a fun line, and it gets better every time I go it seems. The variety is good, it is busy, the speeds are fast, and the scenery (especially around Valmeyer and Fults) is very rural and pleasant. Your day trip will be well worth it.

stlgevo51

Steam Chaser
What are the radio freqs for the Chester Sub? Is it 161.550?

Bill
That sounds right, but I really don't know for sure.

By the way, Amtrak 145 should be leading an excursion down the Cuba Sub tomorrow morning, leaving St. Louis at 8 am.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)