Wide angle lense question.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kenw

5th Generation Texian
I only have 1 Sigma, while optically it is fairly good, the AF is slow and very noisy. My only comment on this lens is that it is incredibly slow at f4.5. My Sigma is a 20mm/1.8.

While f4.5 will be fine for outdooors in great light, personally I would never get a lens this slow unless it had some other saving grace like IS or VR.

B_Kosanda

Outstanding In My Field
It looks like the Canon brand lens is about twice as much (8-15 mm f4). In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth it to spend twice as much for a lens that would get limited use.

Cozmo

The use of the lense will most likely be still shots. I will be using it a lot so I'm not that worried on the price. Your right about the speed though, that is what is making me think about it.

Kevin WS

Cozmo,

An alternative to Sigma is the Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro DX. This is reputed to be a better lens - but I cannot comment as I never seen or handled one.

The Sigma 8mm will make a significant difference though and the lower you can get the better, though I do not how extreme the distortion will be at 8mm and if there is a sweet spot here or not.

The lens I got for train photography eventually after having a Sigma (17mm) , is the Canon EF-S 10 - 22 mm f 3.5 - 4.5 USM. Never looked back.

The 10mm is just wide enough for decent cabs shots etc without extreme distortion.

An excellent lens and something that in fact I now use an awful lot - I thought I would not, but in fact I now carry it on a second body so I have it available all the time!

A good price for the quality of the lens.

The zoom is nice too as it makes the lens more versatile - you can for example take it to 20mm for landscape shots of trains - less distortion but plenty of depth of field and clarity.

And then of course wide open you get that stunning depth of field - so you can get creative!

Here is a decent in depth lens review..

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/174-canon-ef-s-10-22mm-f35-45-usm-test-report--review

I really enjoy this lens and it has given me a lot of fun and also really improved my photography, as I have had to put a lot more thought into how I do things. Creativity!

------------------

Can you hire lens in your part of the world? If so hire the Canon and Sigma for a day and see which you like and if it "fits" your picture taking style. If you can only hire a Canon (often the case as they are more pricey) take it anyway and see if you like it! I suggest this, as I find that lens are really often a personal thing and there are as result no right or wring suggestions or choices!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)