Which route to North Platte?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

mrmajors

Good day. My family and I are driving from Denver to North Platte and would like to know which is the best route to see the MOST trains. We were thinking of driving up to Cheyanne (just so kids can see a part of Wyoming) then across. I noticed to that the tracks also parallel the road for a good part along I-76/US 138.
When we get to NP, we'll check out Bailey yard and the tower.
Any suggestions?? Thx!!

You could take US 85 through Greeley and follow the UP most of the way to Cheyenne. Then follow the UP along I-80/US 30 to North Platte. My guess is this is the route to see the most trains.

You could follow the BNSF along I-76 from Denver to Brush and then on US 6 to Sterling. From Sterling you could head north to Sidney, NE. You will get a few chances to see the BNSF in the distance and the tracks will eventually come back close to the highway. At Sidney, you can head to North Platte on I-80/US 30 following the UP. The other option is from Sterling just head up to Julesburg where you will catch UP along I-80/US 30. This route gives you the chance to see two railroads, but I am not sure what the train count on the Brush sub is like these days. When I have been on I-76 there have been times when I have seen lots of trains, then there have been times when I saw nothing.

I think the MOST trains will be an all UP route east of Cheyenne. But if you want a little variety, following the BNSF could be fun. And, of course, it will all depend on if the railroads decide to run trains on the day you are traveling.

Todd Busse

Go up to Cheyenne and spend an hour at the depot. Plenty of train action to see there, plenty. Then leave Cheyenne and head east on I-80 to Pine Bluff. Jump off 80 and hit 30 east and it will follow the UP main all the way to North Platte. You will see plenty of trains along the route with plenty of good locations for photos.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back