Which CB&Q Graybacks were at Creston, IA 1948-1949?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

deanej

I am trying to figure out which model graybacks I would have seen at Creston, Iowa in the '48-'49 era.

I can remember standing at the crossing on Elm street as a 4 unit "motor" with a long string of cars (possibly near 100) would begin to inch forward, barely moving at first. By the time the caboose passed, it was rolling at a high rate of speed.

If only I had made photographs!

I am assuming they were probably FT's rather than F3's. I'd love to get confirmation as I'd like to model a set of these.

Thanks to anyone who can shed light.
Deane

R

RailfanRails

Probably was FT's as they where typically in 2 unit sets then (A-B sets where drawbarred together) F2's and F3's would be mixed with the FT's (especially the F2's) or the F3's would have been run in 4 unit sets but where probably run in 3 unit sets. In '48 and '49, F5 and F7's would have also been seen but where probably 3 unit sets also. This is way before my time but I was introducted to railfanning and model railroading by a diehard Q modeler.

deanej

Thanks for the reply Railfanrails. Your analysis seems logical.

I was in Jr. High school at the time and had to cross the maze of tracks on the way home, usually on my bicycle. I remember the units were beautiful, all 4 matched. It was like the railroad took pride in their ownership. They always seemed clean.

I miss the days when railroads were sensitive to the image they put forward. Unfortunately, survival has shifted the focus.

Deane

Zoohogger

Whistle Pig
CBQ F units

The roster I have says that Burlington FTs were built in 1943 and 44.

The first F3's were built in October of 1947.

There are a few F2s built in 1946.

So Railfanrails is absolutley correct. You would have most likely seen FTs

F7s came in 1950
I was born in 1950 and vividly remember seeing brand new F7s in Downers Grove Illinois, as I looked out from my crib. ;)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)