Where is the Omaha Posse?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

If I remember correctly from college physics, velocity is a combination of speed and direction. Speed being a measurement of rate of movement in relation to something. So I think we need to define the parameters more clearly before answering this query.

Attempting an Itsed65 impression, minus the sun, is the UP 8184 west of Kennard and east of Fremont with some interesting buildings off in the distance.

Itsed65 is clearly the master of the super telephoto train shot. The rest of us pale in comparison, even when the sun is out. :cool:

The tops of what appear to be grain storage buildings look like "onion domes" seen on very old buildings in Russia, such as those in the Kremlin. Is there a Russian colony or religious sect nearby?

Caught the CN train north of Council Bluffs

View attachment 91780
I enjoy looking up the history of the odd engine that make up part of the road I'm interested in. That SD60 in the photograph, CN 5436, was formerly GMTX 9086, in a blue/grey livery. It appears as though GMTX is the reporting mark of a locomotive leasing partner of the GATX Rail Locomotive Group. Now I'm curious if CN leased the engine, or bought it straight out. Just another little bit of trivial pursuit that seems to pick on me.
You have a wonderful collection of photographs. Well done!

The area the buildings are in the middle of a large area of crop land. I’ll drive closer next time. As far as the HTUA sign....this is a little valley about a mile from hwy 30. 1 farmhouse on the north side. Any scenario could be played out there. Pantomime horses perhaps.

A quick search of the interwebs would indicate that it means “high threat urban area,” but that area doesn’t exactly seem urban, let alone high threat.
High Threat Urban Areas extend out 10 miles from the city limits of the urban area. Within this zone certain key trains, those with highly flammable commodities - ethanol or crude oil for example, are limited to 40 mph.

Thanks Jeff. The closest town is about 3 miles. It is small but both the tracks and the town are located along one the waterways that flow thru Omaha. And US hwy 30 is close

Last edited:
Quick grab shot of a KCS Progress Rail lease unit delivering empties to a Bartlett Grain Elevator in Council Bluffs IA.

05.20.20...01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Itsed65 is clearly the master of the super telephoto train shot. The rest of us pale in comparison, even when the sun is out. :cool:

The tops of what appear to be grain storage buildings look like "onion domes" seen on very old buildings in Russia, such as those in the Kremlin. Is there a Russian colony or religious sect nearby?
I think the interesting building is Fremont's waste water facility.

85 degrees today SUNNY!! Hooray! Now it will be hot til September. East of Kennard is the 8215 with 230 cars. 110 cars back is the mid train and 120 to the end +or- a couple. Shots 2,3&4 were taken about 3 miles east of the Missouri River in Iowa,
UP 8215_2_060220.JPG
UP 8215_3_060220.JPG
UP 8215_4_060220.JPG
UP 8690_060220.JPG
UP 3066_060220.JPG

85 degrees today SUNNY!! Hooray! Now it will be hot til September. East of Kennard is the 8215 with 230 cars. 110 cars back is the mid train and 120 to the end +or- a couple. Shots 2,3&4 were taken about 3 miles east of the Missouri River in Iowa,

Overcast and cool here in the Puget Sound region of the PNW. I don't envy you on the heat as I know it will probably be accompanied by high humidity as well. You have to be tough to be a member of the Omaha Posse. 🤠

Are trains this long common in your area? If not, I wonder if it is the new norm; using DPU technology to movie more cars with fewer trains, engines and crews.

I think we have seen more of these long ones lately and as the technology improves we may see more. Makes sense. Less crew. North Platte to Fremont is slightly downgrade. The hilliest part is from Fremont to the river and Iowa rises and falls a bit.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back