What was the purpose of this chimney looking thing in this swinging bridge photo?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

T

Tudelum48

1610398001622.png

I suspect it had the controls so the bridge tender could open and close the bridge from the bank. Maybe a concrete conduit from the bank to the center, with electrical cables inside. Probably a small building on top, or only a control cabinet, accessible from the missing trestle.

Bruce

Reactions: Bob
It’s been a mystery to the locals for quite awhile. Sadly it was removed a few years back so any further investigation isn’t possible. There’s wasn’t any evidence of a fire ever being in it, but it might not ever had been used If that was its purpose?
My cousin that posted it on his web site about our community history ( rockportky.com ) has been trying to find out its purpose for several years. Its a small thing for most people but it’s been a journey for him to try to find the purpose. He’s getting up in years and I’m about 10 years younger than him so I told him I’d try to help find it’s purpose.
I was hoping and I know there is someone that will have the definitive answer to the question.
I worked on mining draglines most of my life and the photo‘s and question that have been brought to me to answer we’re normally simple and quiet humorous to answer.
I know there’s an old timer out there with the answer.
Thank You for your reply

Well that’s one I haven’t heard? You mean kind of like a place to get down in for bridge rotation? Looks like that would be a trap if that’s what your talking about?
There wasn’t a secondary hole for escape unless it filled in over the years.

Well that’s one I haven’t heard? You mean kind of like a place to get down in for bridge rotation? Looks like that would be a trap if that’s what your talking about?
There wasn’t a secondary hole for escape unless it filled in over the years.
I was thinking more along the lines of municipal utility access. Many bridges are used to carry water, sewer, and power lines.

If you mean they discharge sewage in it? Looks like it would to close to a fresh water source? It could be though it was several miles from any towns.
Just assumed it was related to the operation of the swing bridge.

I’ve found another Website that’s interested in identifying this form. If I find an answer I will let you know. The answers out there somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original photo shows the railroad bridge swung parallel to the river

Yes, the bigger thing on the left is clearly part of an old railroad bridge. The standpipe(?) like thing on the right is an open question, though. How close is it to the bridge pier? It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo. Is there an outfall pipe below it that dumps into the river?

All the bridge has been reclaimed a few years back. The question of what it is arose after it was posted on the Rockportky.com website. It’s just been a topic of local coffee shop gossip.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back