What is everyone's thoughts on the CP KC merger

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Hello Everyone, I am a new user here. But I have an important question for you all, What are your thoughts on Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern merging

Gives the Canadian rail road deep connections into the heart of our country? Two things come to mind, first there was a push a while back to up grade the track to Halifax as shipping patterns were shifting to where Halifax was probably going to become more important. Back in the 2021 time frame there was "rumor" California had made itself less attractive and the East Coast more. Is the merger a continuation of that shift? And is CP building itself into a yet larger Class one and will be able to benefit from those shifts ( assuming they in fact have or will happen)? Or is this just the natural order of things where big ones eat slightly smaller ones, not for "future" opportunities , but simply to buy channels and market share. Other interesting events to me are first the CSX purchase of PanAm AND the investment in the track from Watertown to Massena & by extension the connections to Canada. Watched them significantly upgrade thru Canton and Potsdam. With CSX buying PanAm & this CP/KCS event, the big looser seems to be Norfolk Southern. So those are the thought from an "outsider" looking in. No idea if they make any sense at all. I have observed often in the RR community there is a linear / between the visible lines thought process so kicking around "speculations" is frowned upon

As a 1st time post, from 30 years experience in the industry, mergers/takeovers/consolidations have always ended up reducing manpower no matter what "KoolAid" they spew out. Period.
The only winners are the stockholders and upper level management.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back