What Exactly is a Pumpkin? - Clarification Please

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Alien

I have heard reference to a GE Dash 9 in BNSF Heritage 2 / Premium Heritage livery being a 'Pumpkin', but what does this nickname cover? Is it just Dash 9s in BNSF Heritage 2 or is it all BNSF locos in Heritage 2, BNSF GE locos in Heritage 2 or some other permutation? What is required to qualify as a 'Pumpkin'?

Thanks.

I'd always thought of it as any unit in the new predominantly orange and green paint scheme. GE Dash 9/etc. simply seem to dominate BNSF's roster these days, but old EMD units from as far back as the 60's have been repainted in the new colors.

BNSF Premium Heritage is another name I have come across being used for Heritage 2 livery. This would appear to be used on the wide cab locomotives. So is anything in Heritage 2 livery a Pumpkin including SD70MACs and SD70ACes unless it is greatly faded when it apparently becomes a Peachbonnet? Does the nickname go with the livery or the locomotive type?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back