What Boots Do You Wear?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Chainstretcher

To all you guys that work as a Conductor, what boots do you guys wear that's the most comfortable on Number 4 Ballast? I got Carolina 8 inch but man they are not comfortable and my feet are really sore at the end of the day!

I dont work for the railroad, except when I was asked for pictures by a certain one.

I wear Converse 9-inch Desert Pursuit boots with the steel reinforced Kevlar toe, shank, and heal. Mine are also side-zipper. I like them because they are very lightweight, they exceed OSHA/ANSI standards, my feet dont get cold or hot in the varied climates, and they are just easy one/off. They are marketed for military, police, PMC, and as I am in the firearms industry I found out about them from a RRSA.

I've had the same pair for 5 years now. They look like duece, but they work and still feel great. I wear them all day, everyday. Best $100 I ever spent. LA Police Gear has good deal on them in khaki and black (caveat: I DO NOT work for them or shill for them)

I also wear Redwings. With some polish every now and then I can make them last and look great for several years.
Kevin

Whites. They're made in Spokane, WA. I've had a pair for ten years and still comfortable and holding up well, even having been worn in snowy conditions, rocks -- including ballast -- often for days on end. Mine were built to BNSF standards. They're amazing. Can't recall their website, but it should be easy to find.

My Dad worked road construction for the state and wore Whites his whole life. He had three pairs and they were all rebuilt many times. I wear Nicks, also custom made in Spokane for firefighting. Just like slippers after you get used to them. I think Nick used to work for White.
Lynn

My Redwings haven't seen regular use in over 15 years, but they were pretty well used for a decade before that. I loved 'em. I've got pretty wide feet, so needed a well fitting comfortable boot.

May check out White's for a replacement though.

Also wore White's for years farming...switched to Danners due to them being water proof. Might be just me, but even with constant greasing, my Whites tended to start leaking in under a year. Don't even wear rubber boots ditching anymore, Danners hold up great in water, stay warm and dry. Had Red Wings and Georgia's as well, but could never keep the water out of them.

Martin Burwash

I don't work for a railroad, but I walk on ballast while unloading railcars for my company. I wear Redwings. They are comfy and wear well, but are not waterproof. During the flood this summer they would get pretty wet when I was in water almost to my knees but not over the top of the boot. TZ

The Redwings I posted the link for are waterproof, have the comfort sole. I've spend long days in the rain and mud and had no problem with water getting in them. Great boots if you ask me.

The railroad would buy me one shoe every year (50% off a pair) so I bought a new pair every year.

I love Timberlake hiking boots with a medium top. I like Globe 8 in. Emergency series from the firestore.com, they are light and you need 2 pair of boots. Let one pair dry while you wear the other and they'll alst a lot longer. I use lots of polish to keep them nice too.

I dont work for the railroad, except when I was asked for pictures by a certain one.

I wear Converse 9-inch Desert Pursuit boots with the steel reinforced Kevlar toe, shank, and heal. Mine are also side-zipper. I like them because they are very lightweight, they exceed OSHA/ANSI standards, my feet dont get cold or hot in the varied climates, and they are just easy one/off. They are marketed for military, police, PMC, and as I am in the firearms industry I found out about them from a RRSA.

I've had the same pair for 5 years now. They look like duece, but they work and still feel great. I wear them all day, everyday. Best $100 I ever spent. LA Police Gear has good deal on them in khaki and black (caveat: I DO NOT work for them or shill for them)

Those are good boots but NS won't let us use them. Boots can't be side or front zippered, have to be lace up and have to have a 90% defined heel for locking onto grab irons, and must be at least 6 inch uppers.

So after getting you gusy to chime in it looks like Redwing is the clear winner wiht Danner and Whites coming is a close second. I will call each company and do some research on each. My carolina's after 8 months are alomst done!

Those are good boots but NS won't let us use them. Boots can't be side or front zippered, have to be lace up and have to have a 90% defined heel for locking onto grab irons, and must be at least 6 inch uppers.

You can get them in non-side zip, straight lace up.

You can get them in 6 inch and 8 inch models

The sole is a Vibram, and when pressure is applied the heel becomes "defined"

Just remember, Whites aren't cheap and Whites will rebuild the boots when the time comes for rebuilding.

So after getting you gusy to chime in it looks like Redwing is the clear winner wiht Danner and Whites coming is a close second. I will call each company and do some research on each. My carolina's after 8 months are alomst done!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back