Western Railway Museum

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Itsed65

We had a beautiful weekend here in Northern California, and I was out and about chasing trains, but this time, a bit of a different flavor. The Western Railway museum (in between Fairfield and Rio Vista CA on Hwy 12) is running their wildflower special at this time of year, so I thought I would grab a few snaps along the route.

The museum has re-electrified about 20 miles of the old Sacramento Northern Railroad, an electric line that once ran from Chico all the way to Oakland, and even San Francisco across the bay bridge, when the lower deck had tracks.

It runs push/pull, and here on the outbound leg it is in push mode, with a Salt Lake & Utah railroad coach in front.
6936410450_ddde22a4f7_b.jpg

6936410850_eaa2c95ddd_b.jpg

The area it runs through doesn't look much different from this angle than it did when it was a revenue run, over 60 years ago.
6936410566_fe8bd2aa02_b.jpg

7082484461_c84bb46b21_b.jpg

From the other side, at the end of the line, the 21st century is quite apparent. This is Gum Grove, and there is a pretty nice little picnic area.
7078698793_02540734ac_b.jpg

The return trip has the old Sacramento Northern interurban at the lead
6936411228_6346961580_b.jpg

6936411154_72ab9d104d_b.jpg

6936411060_95f1edc5ea_b.jpg

Its very nicely restored
6936411342_0dd2273a57_b.jpg

A great day for a train ride!
7082485023_3daa7d2425_b.jpg

7082485235_e63f63daa9_b.jpg

If you are ever in the area, it is not far from the Jelly Belly factory and Bud brewery, which offer free tours, and makes for a nice day. The museum has a lot of neat unique equipment from California's electrified past, well worth a look!

Bill Anderson

Thanks for posting. I visited the museum during an open house weekend when I lived in Sacramento back in the 70's. At that time there was just a small loop of track. I got to ride in the cab of a Shay which was pulling a car around the loop.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)