Vintage Railroad Ads

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

twforeman

I've been collecting railroad ads for a little bit now and I'm going to post my vintage railroad ads in a thread here. I have a good handful, so I probably won't post them all at once. Most will be Great Northern, but I have a few that are other roads.

You can click on them to see larger versions.

Here is a GN travel ad from 1952
zeQud0el.jpg

And another from 1957
AEYZLxDl.jpg

I have a good handful, so I probably won't post them all at once. Most will be Great Northern, but I have a few that are other roads.

Good plan, post a few at a time, keep things fresh, keep the topic going and give people a reason to come back and look again.

About that "Ranch Car". Several of them are still in existence, and I was fortunate to get the chance to ride in one during an excursion on the Port of Tillamook Bay RR. I think that one's still someplace near Portland, but not sure where exactly.

Another one was the GN 1244. Restored by a museum in Columbus, OH, it was restored and cared for, but for some reason they had to remove it from the display. (I can't seem to find the details on why). Here are a couple of press releases, the first regarding the situation and the second, from just over a year ago, announced that sufficient money to relocate it had been raised.

1588040144325.png

###############

Help save this 1950’s work of art! Built for the iconic Great Northern Railroad’s “Empire Builder” which ran from Minnesota to Washington state. These dining cars welcomed riders to enjoy a meal in a classic Western atmosphere. Decorated with rustic wooden timbers, murals of ranch scenes, and brown & white leather seats, this dining car makes you feel like you are on a Montana ranch and is a time capsule of America history. Great Northern Empire Builder’s Ranch Car “White Pines Lake” needs a new home.

It has been restored, loved, and cared for in Columbus, Ohio but now must move.

The owners will donate it to the Minnesota Transportation Museum but we must raise the funds to move it by highway to Minnesota. Our short term goal is to have the car as a static display while we work to acquire the correction power generation system and air conditioning for the car. Long term, we plan to have the car in full operational service on our Osceola and St. Croix Valley Railway.

With your help, it can join the collection of the Minnesota Transportation Museum in St Paul, Minnesota so future generations can experience this piece of history. Give today to help make this vision happen! Our goal is to have the funding in place by April 30, 2019.

All funds donated on this campaign go directly to the Minnesota Transportation Museum which is a 501(c)3 Non-Profit organization.

Donors will receive a tax receipt for their gift from PayPal Giving Fund for income tax purposes. More information on the ranch cars can be viewed at: http://www.gngoat.org/ranch_car.htm

"The Ranch Car Program" - Donor Recognition Donation of $100 or more: Invitation for you and a guest to the unveiling celebration. (To be scheduled at a later date) Donation of $250 or more: Limited edition collectible with image of the car, GN logo and commemorative text. (Items will be sent upon completion of the move to MN) Donation of $500 or more: Your name will be included on a contributor recognition list permanently displayed in the car. Donation of $1244 or more: (Limited availability) Your name will be attached to a chair in recognition of your contribution. This will be done in a nice engraved nameplate.

*If our fundraising goal is not reached this year, donors will be contacted and be offered a choice of a full refund of their donation or choose to donate to another project at the Minnesota Transportation Museum***

####################

The Ranch Car - GN 1244
April 19, 2019 ·
***BREAKING NEWS***
SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA - The Minnesota Transportation Museum (MTM) is thrilled to announce our fundraising effort, to bring the Great Northern Ranch Car number 1244 to MTM, has reached a major milestone.
1244 is coming home to Minnesota!
Due to the overwhelming donor support for the 1244 project, and the generous donation offer of this beautiful piece of history from the Barry Fromm family of Columbus, Ohio, the Board of Directors of the Minnesota Transportation Museum voted last night to allocate funding from the Richard Kolter fund to make sure the 1244 comes to MTM for future generations to enjoy. The board voted unanimously to dedicate funds for the effort.
The MTM will continue to accept donations from people who wish to be part of making this acquisition a reality and to sponsor its care and restoration.
Thank you very much to the donors of for this project and to those who generated support for this effort. This historic railcar acquisition is a very welcome addition to our Great Northern railway collection of items.
More information will be shared about the upcoming movement to Minnesota as it is confirmed. The movement will happen in summer 2019.
On behalf of the MTM and our Board of Directors, we would like to thank you again for all of your support
Regards,
Brandon Gatz
1244 Project Lead
Board Director
Minnesota Transportation Museum
Www.gofundme.com/gn1244

I never pictured the GN as the gateway to the East Indies. That took some real creativity by the advertising department.

Railroads also made promo TV ads and "documentaries" as well. You can see them by querying You Tube using the railroad's name.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back