US Roadtrip 2017 - 8: Waiting for Helpers at Route 66 (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
US Roadtrip 2017 - 7: Caesars don't go out of Fashion (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...017-7-Caesars-don-t-go-out-of-Fashion-(50-p-)

The video for this series (please set to 1080p quality / full-screen mode):

Wild-West-gallery:
http://raildata.info/nnry17

Multimedia slideshow:

February 20 2017

We are in Las Vegas in front of Hotel Bellagio, which is supposed to be modelled after the landscape of Italian Lake Como...
us170801.jpg

Not happy with the wedding pictures?
us170802.jpg

"Arc de Triomphe" inside a "squareabout".
us170803.jpg

Next to "France" the Austrian contribution to the strip...
us170804.jpg

We walked - of course again through the hotel - to "Bally's & Paris" monorail station.
us170805.jpg

The train took us back to our MGM Grand Hotel.
us170806.jpg

We ate just a little, as the 200% surcharge for the location can be invested into a better meal elsewhere.

February 21 2017

At about 5 a.m. I did battle with a vending machine for a bottle of water, even a gambler passing by could not help me beat the automat.
The morning view from our room north along the Strip.
us170807.jpg

We took East Tropicana Avenue to the freeway, where we joined Route 93 again. In Boulder City the road passes through town, then this view of Lake Mead is reached. At a length of 105 miles it is the largest reservoir in the USA.
us170808.jpg

We left the highway towards Hoover Dam.
us170809.jpg

Like the second state of the trip, we also reached the third one on foot first. In Arizona, we also returned to Mountain Standard Time, with more human-friendly sunrise times.
us170810.jpg

Not too long ago there was much more traffic down below...
us170811.jpg

... as the Mike O’Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge we were on only had been completed in 2010:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_O'Callaghan–Pat_Tillman_Memorial_Bridge

At the power plant, you can see railroad tracks and a gondola for a 150-ton cable crane used to replace heavy generator parts.
us170812.jpg

More info about the massive structure opened in 1935: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Dam
us170813.jpg

We drove to the dam past a security check... but if that got through - at least the owner does not have to worry about parking space. ;-)
us170814.jpg

View at dammed-up Colorado River inside Black Canyon, widening behind the corner to Lake Mead.
us170815.jpg

Due to a satnav-error we first tried to continue on the Arizona side, but this road is blocked, so we had to turn around and drive all the way back to join Route 93 again.
us170816.jpg

At a rest area, we enjoyed this view of the Colorado River in northwest Arizona.
us170817.jpg

However, trouble was brewing: until now fuel consumption was no issue, but then came the unscheduled detour, and we had to drive all the time against strong headwinds... it would not have been a problem in densely populated Europe, but here in the U.S. it's sometimes 80 miles or more to the next gas station. We passed one, but it seemed out of business, then the fuel warning came on more than 30 miles from Kingman. Finally, at the road junction to Dolan Springs it seemed like we had come across one - oh no, it was just being built!
us170818.jpg

Then - measured 3.5 miles from the first gas station in town - it was over, and I could only roll onto the luckily slightly paved shoulder, some parts of the road did not feature any at all. Thankfully - due to bad experience with rental cars, especially tires, on previous trips - I had taken a 24h emergency service and called the hotline. A nice lady answered, and after a sometimes surreal conversation including a question like: "Have you already passed Santa Claus?" (a place near Kingman), the towing truck was on its way.
us170819.jpg

Actually, I had planned to spend the afternoon in Kingman Canyon - but it would be the only time my usually reliable weather app was wrong on this trip. Looking outside I was not too mad about having to stay in the car.
After a little more than an hour I saw a truck turning behind us, from it emerged an older mechanic like from a storybook - glasses, longer hair, almost no teeth, full of typical American optimism: no problem, just a canister of gas will get you over the hill - you almost made it. Exactly the man you want to see in such a situation. After the uncomplicated solution, we said thanks and drove off to the next gas station.
us170820.jpg

In Kingman we left Route 93 which we had followed practically from Wendover and joined legendary Route 66 (nowadays just a state road). Also, the transcontinental BNSF mainline was reached. As you can see we did not miss much weather-wise.
us170821.jpg

We checked into the Best Western Plus King's Inn & Suites, a motel-like but nice hotel. A first look out of our room showed this:
us170822.jpg

I waited for helper engines on this eastbound train, but in vain - obviously, they are rare on this section. At least one self-propelled rail vehicle can be spotted in this picture.
us170823.jpg

We drove downtown for some shopping and dinner - and maybe more.
us170824.jpg

This was the southernmost point of the roundtrip, but even here snow was found on mountaintops. The depot had been built by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (ATSF) in 1907 in Spanish Colonial style and since a renovation in 2011 features a waiting room for passengers of the Amtrak "Southwest Chief" trains stopping here nightly and a (then closed) railroad museum.
us170825.jpg

I found historic pictures of Kingman at our hotel - Hoover Dam had originally been called "Boulder Dam" 1933 - 1947.
us170826.jpg

In this comparison the sign of Hotel Beale has been preserved, the hotel itself not.
us170827.jpg

Back home I had found a shot I wanted to take: I arrived at 5:25 p.m., then it rumbled inside the canyon, and at 5:31 the container train from California had appeared... that's called efficient railroad photography!
us170828.jpg

The leading BNSF Dash-9 4691 (GE C44-9W, built 4/2000) still wore the old logo (in use until 2005, the same as rebranding "Burlington Northern and Santa Fe" just to the abbreviation "BNSF").
us170829.jpg

us170830.jpg

Once more no helpers showed up - that way you can follow the double-stacked containers winding their way through suburban Kingman on one of two separately led mainline tracks.
us170831.jpg

us170832.jpg

Amtrak "Southwest Chief" Chicago - Los Angeles #3 and Los Angeles - Chicago #4 stop here at 12:46 a.m. / 2:28 a.m. Of course I checked the practical Amtrak-App, but there were hardly any delays, so no chance to see it by day. The train emerged from legendary ATSF "Super Chief" which took the same line, mostly parallel to Route 66.
us170833.jpg

Having caught a train, you can enjoy some hospitality - although this wall sent mixed signals...
Kingman had been founded in 1882 as a railroad settlement.
us170834.jpg

After enjoying some pork from the 24hr-barbecue pit we drove back to the accommodation.
us170835.jpg

February 22 2017

Sleepy motel morning - at Best Western once more including breakfast buffet.
us170836.jpg

Route 66 motel sunrise.
us170837.jpg

Before the photo morning could start, we shortly visited a bank trying to change Euros as an experiment. Immediately the whole staff was called in because most never had changed money before. A second ID was asked, also a social security number... although I am not sure the Austrian general health insurance card was of much help (sorry if that pours salt into open wounds ;-)).

I stayed outside - a train east was rolling by... and finally with helpers!
us170838.jpg

The spontaneous old town scene.
us170839.jpg

We took narrow Old Trails Road into Kingman Canyon and immediately encountered another eastbound train. The patterns in the sky are real, no image errors.
us170840.jpg

We parked at the old ATSF-bridge. A cloud layer still persisted above the mountains, but would pose no problem. People had camped here overnight and stayed the only persons we met in the canyon.
us170841.jpg

This is the leisure activity out here, as many empty shells confirm.
us170842.jpg

In the shade, I walked uphill across some rocks.
us170843.jpg

However, the sun soon rose above the hill.
us170844.jpg

The "third hand" explored the rock formations at the bridge.
us170845.jpg

us170846.jpg

Ten minutes after reaching my spot the next container train from California appeared, Route 66 can be spotted behind the engines.
us170847.jpg

The train was hauled by BNSF 7579 (GE ES44DC), 4241 (ES44C4), 7604 and 7231 (both ES44DC)
us170848.jpg

us170849.jpg

Of course, once more no helper engines - so I waited for the first westbound freight, nothing had come into this direction since dawn at breakfast...
us170850.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pictures and commentary. My wife andI were in the area a year ago. Spent time at the canyon and some minor pictures along 66. Wish I had more time but poker was scheduled with the WSOP series. Won lots of money on table games. Paid off car!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back