US Navy Donates Turntable to the Chehalis-Centralia Railroad & Museum

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Hotrail

On 2 Sept 2015, I spent the morning at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, WA photographing the donation of the 85 foot turntable to the Chehalis-Centralia Railroad & Museum. I arrived at the turntable at 7:15 AM. The Navy was going to cut the turntable into scrap if someone did not take it off of their hands. The C-CR&M had been working for six and half years to acquire the turntable. On 2 Sept both groups came away happy. The Navy paid to have the turntable removed from the pit. C-CR&M funded to have the 70 ton turntable transported the 65 miles to Chehalis. They plan to construct a pit and return the turntable to operation at their railroad.

The first photo shows the turntable which had not been rotated in ten years. The aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk can be seen in the background. The craft carrier on the right is the Independence. Both ships are in the inactive fleet.

Turntable PSNS 014.jpg

The 550 ton capacity crane was allowed into the shipyard where it quickly and efficiently set up for work. On the first tug from the crane, the south end of the turntable rose, but the north end would not budge. The second photo shows the crew asking for port-a-powers to nudge the north end a bit. In a few minutes, the table swung free.

Turntable PSNS 069.jpg

When the heavy haul truck was positioned, the 85 foot turntable was swung to the trailer.

Turntable PSNS 080.jpg

The last photograph shows the loaded truck leaving the shipyard for its trip to Chehalis. It left the shipyard at 12:45 and made an immediate traffic backup on Highways 3 and 16. I got to pass the truck on my drive home. The turntable was off loaded in Chehalis on the 3rd of Sept.

Turntable PSNS 129.jpg

Dan Simmering

Is the shipyard still serviced by an active railroad line?

Yes, the Puget Sound & Pacific Railroad serves the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. The US Government still owns the track from Shelton to Bremerton. I believe that our federal government still maintains and upgrades the right-of-way through sub-contractors. There is not a lot of traffic on the line that deals with the shipyard, but what exists is important. PS&P also handles shipping occurring along the line, such as the garbage from the Bremerton Airport Industrial Complex.

Probably still have active service all the way out to the boomer base at Bangor, on the other side of Silverdale. Again, not used for anything other than servicing the sub base.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back