UP Starts Parking the Labor Day Trains

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
Took a 200 mile tour of Eastern Nebraska today. Omaha to Columbus and then to Lincoln. Nebraska Central, UP and BNSF. Two stack trains that were racing east when I met them east of Columbus were found tied down east of Fremont when I came back. BNSF was running pretty heavy between Ashland and Lincoln with 2 trains northbound on the Sioux City Line. 2 or three empy coal trains on both the UP and the BNSF. I found the NE Central at the junction of two lines northwest of Columbus. I have to do a little more research on that subject. The UP 500 is at Valley.

UP500_090615.jpg UP 500 at Valley

UP500atBumper_090615.jpg UP 500 at Valley

NCYard_090615.jpg Junction Yard East of Monroe, NE

NC1006_090615.jpg NC 1006 east of Monroe(west of Columbus)

UP saw a decent flow of coal to the east. Don't see SD60's switching much

UP7235_090615.jpg WB empty OPPD train east of Fremont

UP7320_090615.jpg Parked EB Stack train east of Fremont

UP5827_090615.jpg WB empty coal at Columbus

BNSF1448_090615_v1.jpg BNSF switching the elevator at Havelock, NE(east Lincoln)

Some BNSF stuff

BNSF1822_090615.jpg The SD40 attached to the SD60. a bunch of switching power

BNSF2667_090615.jpg WB train I think the 2nd unit is a GP40X

ATSF179933_090615.jpg Old car

AOK Hopper_090615.jpg Old Car

I did a little research and found out that the junction is at a "town" named Oconee. Looks like it's where the branch line goes to Norfolk or to Genoa and beyond.

Also wanted to add a non railroad place on the railroad. Many times a place on the track may not be on the railroad as in the case of BNSF's ELK on the Sioux City line, named after the elk farm that it is near. In this example the trains on the Creston sub move to a place the dispatchers call Shakers. Shakers is named after the "Gentlemens Club" across the highway near the signals east of Lincoln. It used to be a Nikerson Farms restaurant many years ago.

Shakers_090615.jpg Shakers. You can even see it at night.

Trains parked at Fremont weren't because of the Labor Day holiday. There has been a track project going on at Boone, IA over the Labor Day weekend with associated track curfews during daylight hours. Monday, Labor Day included. It's supposed to wrap up Tuesday.

Jeff

Thanks. Usually I don't see stack trains stopped for holidays. It is all so clear now. Actually at my age it's more like approach restricting. Tom

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back