UP SIGNAL MAINTAINER openings

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Jdhix

Guys I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on to this position with UP I am considering.

From the UP website:
Responsible for performing FRA and UPRR required signal system testing. They lead in the installation, repair, troubleshooting, and maintenance of various railroad signals and grade crossing warning devices. Physical duties require the ability to do the following: make quick and accurate movements; maintain exact and steady arm/hand positioning movements; perform a rapid, horizontal hand torque action; lift/carry and push/pull objects weighing 25 lbs. (frequently), 50 lbs. (occasionally) and 75 lbs. (infrequently); climb poles, ladders and large structures and maintain balance while working on equipment (occasionally); dig holes and trenches; set poles; sweep between rails and switches; lift and maneuver heavy objects overhead (infrequently); walk for varied distances on uneven terrain (typically 3-5 miles per week); maintain muscular exertion over time; perform occasional overhead work for short periods of time; perform occasional bending, stooping and kneeling; and stand for more than half of work day with break periods.

Accountabilities

• Inspect signal circuitry, equipment, and systems for problems and defects.
  • Test signal circuitry, equipment, and systems for FRA reporting.
  • Troubleshoot malfunctions.
  • Build and dismantle signal crossing warning device equipment.
  • Maintain, repair, and replace signal communication circuitry, systems, and components.
  • Work with machines, tools, vehicles, and equipment.
  • Operate company vehicles and drive throughout geographic territory.
  • Plan, organize, and track information and activities.
  • Construct and install.
  • Communicate with others.
  • Direct the work of others.
  • Work with information in print or on a computer.
  • Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures.
https://up.jobs/job/opening/Signal Maintainer/Oakley/KS/086767?jsl=40486286

From the UP website:
Responsible for performing FRA and UPRR required signal system testing. They lead in the installation, repair, troubleshooting, and maintenance of various railroad signals and grade crossing warning devices. Physical duties require the ability to do the following: make quick and accurate movements; maintain exact and steady arm/hand positioning movements; perform a rapid, horizontal hand torque action; lift/carry and push/pull objects weighing 25 lbs. (frequently), 50 lbs. (occasionally) and 75 lbs. (infrequently); climb poles, ladders and large structures and maintain balance while working on equipment (occasionally); dig holes and trenches; set poles; sweep between rails and switches; lift and maneuver heavy objects overhead (infrequently); walk for varied distances on uneven terrain (typically 3-5 miles per week); maintain muscular exertion over time; perform occasional overhead work for short periods of time; perform occasional bending, stooping and kneeling; and stand for more than half of work day with break periods.

Accountabilities

• Inspect signal circuitry, equipment, and systems for problems and defects.
  • Test signal circuitry, equipment, and systems for FRA reporting.
  • Troubleshoot malfunctions.
  • Build and dismantle signal crossing warning device equipment.
  • Maintain, repair, and replace signal communication circuitry, systems, and components.
  • Work with machines, tools, vehicles, and equipment.
  • Operate company vehicles and drive throughout geographic territory.
  • Plan, organize, and track information and activities.
  • Construct and install.
  • Communicate with others.
  • Direct the work of others.
  • Work with information in print or on a computer.
  • Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures.
https://up.jobs/job/opening/Signal Maintainer/Oakley/KS/086767?jsl=40486286

Maybe I should have been more specific smart ass, obviously I read that which is why I was asking because you never get the whole truth about a job until you start it and I don’t want to move my family accross the country without feed back. So someone with real feedback please fill me in on the position and the company not just copy and pasting the job ad because any first grader could have done that.
Any info besides what’s on their website helps, am I going to spend more time on furlough than working bankrupting my self because I want the only decent retirement left out there, how they treat their employees, things that are important to know that I wouldn’t know without being a current employee.
I am asking because I worked with CSX from 2005-2008 as a conductor and spent more time on furlough in 3 years than working. I lost my credit and house trying to chase that retirement.

Maybe I should have been more specific smart ass, obviously I read that which is why I was asking because you never get the whole truth about a job until you start it and I don’t want to move my family accross the country without feed back. So someone with real feedback please fill me in on the position and the company not just copy and pasting the job ad because any first grader could have done that.
Any info besides what’s on their website helps, am I going to spend more time on furlough than working bankrupting my self because I want the only decent retirement left out there, how they treat their employees, things that are important to know that I wouldn’t know without being a current employee.
I am asking because I worked with CSX from 2005-2008 as a conductor and spent more time on furlough in 3 years than working. I lost my credit and house trying to chase that retirement.

Yes you should have been more specific.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back