UP Electrician Here

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

one_wire

UP Sparky
Hey everyone I'm an electrician in the locomotive shop in Denver. I've been here a little over 2 years and before that I was an aircraft electrician in the Navy and later as a civilian. I've worked on just about every type of locomotive in the UP fleet from the old dogs like the SD40 and 60 up to the new GE EVO and EMD AC units. Just thought I'd join and help answer any questions related to the locomotives and the railroad in general.

Welcome to the Forum. I have worked as a maintenance electrician in a non railroad industry for many years. Still trying to get a grasp on 3 phase electrical. I know what is does and how it does it but sometimes you stand and stare and say, "What just happened here?" Does the electricity generated in a locomotive have a ground or neutral or is the 3 phase ungrounded or none of the above? Tom

Think of it like a car. The locomotive itself isn't grounded, per se, but there are neutral and return lines. In fact, one of the most common things we troubleshoot are "low voltage grounds." They can be pesky and really hard to find, but eliminating them is critical to the safe operation of the locomotive. Theoretically, I guess you could say the rail acts as the ground, but most electricians I work with give you the "I dunno, it just works" response.

AH YES!! M E S..........................................Mysterious Electrical Stuff. Sometimes that is the only logical explanation.

I'm taking the diesel engine electrician skilled battery test for UP on sunday. any advice on what to brush up on would be greatly appreciated.

I passed the battery test and have an interview on the 26th. Will they ask technical questions in the interview?

They'll ask some technical questions, some general background type questions. But the big thing they'll hit on is safety. You are the safest mother trucker alive. You eat, sleep, drink, and make love to safety. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back