Union Pacific Ditchlights?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ECIRailfan

I saw UP 6280, a GE AC4400CW, lead a 2 unit power move go by twice today, (northbound and southbound)

I noticed that it had flashing ditch lights, when they were turned on at the crossing. It surprised me, as I never knew that UP used flashing ditch lights on their locomotives.

Are flashing ditch lights found on some UP locomotives, and if so, how many? T

Thanks!

ECIRailfan

Thanks!

I found it pretty cool, considering the engine was with the flag and the wings on the nose. Thought that they would have replaced them when they repainted.

Mr. Pick

Now this is interesting. All CSX units have ditch lights that flash when the horn is activated, so far as I know. Just yesterday evening on the way home from work I got a couple of pics of UP loco's pulling K475, an ethanol through train that goes to Florida - one of the few times I get to see UP power down here on the CSX Chattanooga sub. Both the UP loco's were AC4400CW's, and the flashing ditch lights might be the reason they use those units on the through trains. Learn something every day!

ECIRailfan

A unit doesn't need to be equipped with flashing ditch lights to operate on a road that normally uses them.

After a bit of research, it seems like quite a few of UP's AC4400CWs came from the Southern Pacific, which did have flashing ditch lights.

I still find it odd that UP did not remove the flashing feature from the ditch lights, when they were sent to the shop to be repainted, or for the occasional check-up, as they are in the UP flag scheme, their most recent.

storminorman

Picture please with arrow to 'ditch lights'. I'm assuming lights at the front and very bottom that flash? Or are they some sort of a side mount?

JeffLH

A unit doesn't need to be equipped with flashing ditch lights to operate on a road that normally uses them.

After a bit of research, it seems like quite a few of UP's AC4400CWs came from the Southern Pacific, which did have flashing ditch lights.

I still find it odd that UP did not remove the flashing feature from the ditch lights, when they were sent to the shop to be repainted, or for the occasional check-up, as they are in the UP flag scheme, their most recent.
I'm not surprised that they didn't change them. As long as they are in working order and meet Federal Regs, they aren't going to fix something that really isn't broken.

The few times I've had to run units with flashing ditch lights I'd have to say I didn't care for the feature. I can just imagine the effect running in fog at night. I suppose though it's what you're used to.

Jeff

5thGenRR

I'm not surprised that they didn't change them. As long as they are in working order and meet Federal Regs, they aren't going to fix something that really isn't broken.

The few times I've had to run units with flashing ditch lights I'd have to say I didn't care for the feature. I can just imagine the effect running in fog at night. I suppose though it's what you're used to.

Jeff
You are correct and so was the other Jeff (UP Salina Sub). SP had some that were and that 62XX was an Ex SP. They/we also wouldn't change the lights over so being solid unless there was a failure. At that point we would convert it.

Last edited by a moderator:

csx 381

true most CSX units ditch lights flash when the horn is blown, i have been on a few that do not flash, they stay solid. I never knew it mattered one way or the other if they flashed or didnt. I mean i noticed it but never thought why they did or didnt. i was on a southern engine once that was fairly new and it had all kind of options for the ditch lights. you could make them flash, you could keep them solid, even flash without the horn blowing.

csx 381

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)