Tuscany 2013 - 11: Garfagnana to Florence - THE END (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Tuscany 2013 - 10: From the Sea into the Apuan Alps (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...3-10-From-the-Sea-into-the-Apuan-Alps-(50-p-)

The itinerary for this part:
Code:
Sat, April 20 2013
----------------------------------------------

Borgo a Mozzano dep 12:26  6967 ALn 668

Lucca arr 12:50
Lucca dep 13:12  6736 ALe 642

Pisa C arr 13:43
Pisa C dep 13:54  23382 -> Firenze SMN PP

Signa arr 14:46

*Hotel*

Signa dep 15:47  23384 PP

Firenze SMN arr 16:07

Firenze SMN dep 22:09 +10 Min  EN 234 E402A / ...

Sun, April 21 2013
----------------------------------------------

Wien Meidling arr 8:33 +20 Min

To the map of Tuscany:
http://raildata.info/toskana13/tos13karte.jpg

April 20 2013

We return to Borgo a Mozzano in Garfagnana region on the final day of my week-long trip. The "Festival of Azaleas" was just being celebrated, flower installations had been erected all over town. As I walked through the centre a heavy shower set in, but at the same time the sun was smiling through a cloud gap. I shortly took shelter next to a milk machine where you could take bottles and fill them up with fresh produce. In the same hut a flyer had been put up by someone looking for his lost cat "Frizzi".
Along the same street a farmers' market had opened that day.
tos131001.jpg

As the rain died away I continued to the main highlight of the region which I reached at 9:30. Situated right at the edge of town: Ponte della Maddalena, also calls Devil's Bridge. I met another photographer from Karlsruhe waiting for the steam train. In the meantime a bus stopped shortly, tourists poured out onto the bridge. I calculated that the special should arrive between 10 and 11 o'clock, it actually approached at 10:15. This time as a change no class 640, but 2-6-2 685.089 had the task to get the Railwaytouring Company-charter across the mountains. I chose a spot where I could also catch the train further back along the Serchio river reservoir.
tos131002.jpg

I was in luck, a Volkswagen Beetle old-timer had been parked in a picturesque position.
tos131003.jpg

The train traversed the stone arch bridge originating in the 14th century. The span of the main arch was 37.8 meters, the one at the railway had been added when the line was built.
tos131004.jpg

25 minutes later scheduled train R 6965 Aulla Lunigiana - Lucca passed the scene.
tos131005.jpg

I chose the "classic" view for a regular service as it provided less options for alternative shots.
tos131006.jpg

The bridge offered way too many perspectives for way too few trains. The next one was about to take a while - also the rain started again - so I conveniently sat down in town to get an espresso doppio with croissant at a combined pasticceria / tobacconist's with view at the farmers' market. There I afterwards bought some delicacies to bring home.
tos131007.jpg

The pigeon really sat there in such a photogenic manner, many picturesque scenes could be found.
tos131008.jpg

The architecture already leaned towards the Alpine.
tos131009.jpg

Only around noon the next train reached the spot, I waited on the bridge together with an Italian family.
tos131010.jpg

The bridge is only 3.7 meters wide. After R 6964 had continued uphill, I walked back to the station.
tos131011.jpg

This symbolic table had been set in front of the church.
tos131012.jpg

At the station I came across a well-guarded lawnmower and mini-tractor collection.
tos131013.jpg

Soon after departure R 6967 crossed the Serchio near Piaggione and followed it on the other side.
tos131014.jpg

At Lucca I once more had to change trains.
tos131015.jpg

I took a short look at the city walls outside the station. As so many places in Northern Italy I had visited Lucca in my youth.
tos131016.jpg

Via Pisa I immediately continued to Signa where I was greeted by sunlight.
tos131017.jpg

I had plenty of time and took a detour through the old town centre.
tos131018.jpg

Balcony photography at Signa.
tos131019.jpg

With the bag on wheels in tow I chose the usual direct path back to the station. The bambini-league was just playing in the local club colours yellow-blue.
tos131020.jpg

Shortly after 4 p.m. I arrived at Firenze S.M.N. and had time until the departure of my night train. I deposited the bag at the already known baggage check then continued to the tramway which had not shown up the past Sunday morning. At the moment only one line is operating in Florence, the majority shareholder of the company is a subsidiary of Paris Metro. More about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Florence
tos131021.jpg

AnsaldoBreda "Sirio" class vehicle in front of Santa Maria Novella church, next to the railway terminal of same name. Trams were also reversing here by changing direction.
tos131022.jpg

Let's leave the railway now, Florence is calling. We start our tour with this shadow of a hand.
tos131023.jpg

17:35, Florence, Piazza della Signoria.
tos131024.jpg

In front of the Uffizi along Arno river.
tos131025.jpg

Of course Ponte Vecchio was much busier Saturday afternoon than Sunday morning.
tos131026.jpg

At Ponte Santa Trinita I bought a tasty but too large portion of ice-cream at the adjacent gelateria of same name. Additionally, it was quite chilly that day, the wind was blowing through Arno valley. In order to remain here until sunset I had to bundle up.
tos131027.jpg

Piazza della Repubblica offers the only modern square inside the medieval centre.
tos131028.jpg

tos131029.jpg

I waited at Ponte Santa Trinita for the sunset.
tos131030.jpg

tos131031.jpg

I constantly had heard some seemingly medieval sounds from Ponte Vecchio and thought of a show for tourists. Instead I only found some Hare-Krishna-followers who obviously had danced for hours.
tos131032.jpg

tos131033.jpg

tos131034.jpg

tos131035.jpg

tos131036.jpg

Setting sun with Ponte alla Carraia in view, San Frediano in Cestello to the left in the background.
tos131037.jpg

I started an evening round through the sparsely lit city.
tos131038.jpg

tos131039.jpg

tos131040.jpg

Palazzo Vecchio and the statues in front were brightly lit.
tos131041.jpg

tos131042.jpg

tos131043.jpg

tos131044.jpg

tos131045.jpg

In front of Santa Maria Novella I concluded my tour of Florence. At the stalls I already had eaten in the afternoon and bought some more souvenirs.
tos131046.jpg

After arriving at the station I fetched my bag. The departure platform for the EuroNight to Vienna was not indicated on displays yet, but at least timetable posters existed.
tos131047.jpg

tos131048.jpg

tos131049.jpg

Ten minutes delayed, E402B 129 brought the EN from Rome to a halt, I boarded my couchette coach together with several other passengers... an amazing week in Tuscany had found its conclusion.
tos131050.jpg

Next time: Something completely different! :)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back