Trying to find out if audio of steam engine is appropriate for time period

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

RLMG_research

Hi, I have an audio clip of a steam engine that we're using to depict the sounds of a train station in the mid-1800s. It may be fabricated (which I didn't even know you could do, but that would make sense, since I assume most functioning mid-1800s engines and sound recording tech didn't overlap much), but I'd like to know if it's at least in the ballpark. Would anyone mind taking a listen and giving me an opinion?

Sample clip

Probably easiest would be to upload it, and post a link here.
I can tell you most steam engines of that time wouldn’t sound like a giant chugging beast, it would be more a soft-ish chuff chuff sound.

Probably easiest would be to upload it, and post a link here.
I can tell you most steam engines of that time wouldn’t sound like a giant chugging beast, it would be more a soft-ish chuff chuff sound.
Thank you! It sounds like chuff chuff to me, but I don't have a lot to compare it to. Here's a link to Vimeo – let me know if you can't play it: Vimeo link

Here is a link to a youtube video of a "modern" large steam locomotive. Around the 3 minute mark is the sounds that would give away the fact it is not an 1880s-era machine. You should be able to tell the difference between your sound recording and this one:

Give me a day or two and I will post some recordings of both the Omaha Zoo's 25 ton 1890 Austrian 0-6-2T loco and the 1968 4-4-0. Your sound is good. Another place to listen to is the Cumbres and Toltec videos featuring the 4-4-0's that came to visit last year.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back