Trains of Everett, WA.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bill Anderson

This year's Special Olympics bowling season will be held at Evergreen Lanes in Everett during September and October. I will probably spend time at the Everett Marina photographing birds and trains while my son is bowling. I can do both as Bayside Yard, one of two BNSF yards in Everett, is located across Marine View Drive from the marina.

There was a special pre-season bowling session for the athletes Saturday (8-25-18) afternoon, so I dropped my son off at the bowling alley and headed down to the marina. Although it was cool, cloudy, and overcast; smoke from the wildfires still persisted. At least I did not have to deal with heat waves like on sunny days.

Two northbound trains were in the yard when I arrived. At this point they are truly northbounds as the east-west Scenic Sub splits off from the north-south Bellingham Sub farther south in Everett.

IMG_0001.jpg

A third train, an oil tanker, pulled into the yard. I noticed the headlight of the first train, another oil tanker, had been turned on. I assumed it would be departing soon.

IMG_0002.jpg

And so it did. The second unit was a patched Santa Fe War(p) bonnet in need of repainting.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
The tanker took forever to clear the yard. The tracks curve sharply to the right, then sharply to the left through a wye before crossing the Snohomish River.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

The lead diesels were probably over the bridge by the time the rear DPU passed me.

IMG_0008.jpg

The headlight of the second train, a Canada bound coal train, lit up shortly after the oil tanker finally cleared the yard.

IMG_0009.jpg

Like the oil tanker, the coal train took a while to clear the yard.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

The rear DPU was a CREX unit.

IMG_0013.jpg

And then there was one, the recently arrived oil tanker. I don't know how long it had to sit, as I had to leave to pick up my son from bowling.

IMG_0014.jpg

The following day we visited my daughter and son-in-law in Arlington. Due to heavy traffic on southbound I-5, we returned home via surface streets which included Marine View Dr. A northbound train was sitting in the yard. Headend power was two UP units and a single CREX unit. I seldom see UP power north of Seattle and cannot recall seeing two of them on a train.

Great pics. It remembers me the location I visited near Boeing museum near Seattle in 2013. I do not remember the name of that yard.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back