Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Apparently BNSF has secret decoder rings to tell which is which. Two cars called "Trinchera Pass." Interesting how short the cars in your photos are.

RR Pictures Archive

The cars only appear short due to compression caused by the lens. My son was taking the photos with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom using the "long" (400mm) end. The photos would have been better if he had been using the "short" (100mm) end.

The best camera + lens combo would have been the 7DII + 16-35L or 5DIII + 24-105L wide angle zooms. The 5DIII was unavailable as it was attached to the 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter for bird photos. I had forgotten the 7DII at home, but my old 7D was sitting in the pickup where it was doing no good. :mad:

Last edited:
Friday afternoon (8-23-19) my son and I went "bird hunting" at the usual locations in town. We were at the marsh in time for the afternoon passenger parade, so I sent him to the #1 viewing platform to photograph the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8). This time I came prepared and gave him the 7DII + 16-35L wide angle zoom.

One of the Pt. Edwards eagles had been perched in a tree above Willow Creek on the south side of the marsh. Shortly before the 'Builder's arrival it flew to the top of a pole beside the tracks, but took off as the 'Builder passed. If you look carefully, you can see that my son captured the action in the first three photos.

01.jpg

The eagle's departure startled a flock of starlings which had been roosting above the eagle on the cross arms of the telephone pole.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Builder passing the viewing platform.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
In true Itsed65 fashion, I was photographing the action from the #2 (main) viewing platform with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter.
The eagle screeched at some annoying gulls after it landed on the pole.

06.jpg

07.jpg

Taking off as the Builder passed.

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

You can check out the complete set of eagle photos I took that day, including the pair's fledglings, by going to this link:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/index.php?threads/edmonds-eagles-2018-2019.19593/page-3

Saturday afternoon (8-24-19) a group of young women standing on the #1 viewing platform discovered the benefit of the new grade crossing warning system. They don't have to cover their ears, as trains like the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) no longr have to blow their horns for the Dayton St. and Main St. crossings.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Tuesday afternoon (9-3-19) I sent my son down to the #1 viewing platform at the marsh to photograph the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amrtak #8).

While there was nothing unusual about the train or its consist......

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

I enjoyed his shots of insects swarming against the background of the passing cars.

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday afternoon (6-5-19) I sent Daren back to the #1 platform to photograph the afternoon Builder just in case there was something unique about the motive power or private cars in the consist.

There wasn't.

IMG_0001.jpg

I don't know how long this southbound freight (tt/west) had been sitting at MP 18 to wait out the 5:00-5:30pm north (tt/east) bound passenger parade of two Sounders and the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8). The train must have been very heavy, because these older diesels were working quite hard to get the train up to track speed and on to the double track at MP 16 ahead of the 6:00pm Sounder.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Lash up per The Diesel Shop.
1419, 1406: SD60M
268: SD75M/SD75I

Last edited:
Wednesday evening (9-18-19) my son tried out my new/used 1Dx Mark II on a southbound freight led by SD40-2 1664 and SD60M 1454 passing the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Kenmore Camera had a used first series 600L telephoto lens and a used 1Dx Mark II for sale which I could not pass up. The first series 600L weighed about twice as much as the two used series II 600L's that were also for sale. At half the price, I opted for the heavier lens over a lighter wallet.

I traded in my 1Dx and 500L telephoto lens on the new (to me) equipment. I had read reviews comparing the first series 600L with the second series model. The reviews eventually descended into techno jargon that was incomprehensible to me, so I used the "eye" test. I have been very happy with the quality of photos I have gotten with the 500L, also a first series model. I reasoned that a first series 600L should therefore give me satisfactory photos as it would have the same level of technology and materials as the 500L

Here is an uncropped photo of Thursday's (9-26-19) Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) taken from the marsh's #2 (main) viewing platform with the 5DIII + 600L + 2xIII teleconverter (total focal length = 1200mm) for a super Itsed65 shot.

01.jpg

My son used the 7DII + 16-35L wide angle zoom for more conventional shots taken from the #1 (western) viewing platform at 32mm focal length.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Last edited:
A camera + 600L + TC + tripod will be very heavy to carry over my shoulder, so I bought a used four wheel walker to haul it into position while it is all still in the lens carrier. I may scout used baby accessory stores for a second hand SUV grade buggy/stroller to carry all my equipment from the pickup.

Last edited:
A pair of GP38-2's (2076 & 2081) pulled the two Boeing bunker cars of the southbound (tt/west) Goldbar Turn last Friday (10-4-19). Taken from Sunset Ave. by my son with the 7DII + 16-35L wide angle zoom.

I thought it was waiting on an eastbound train, but it sped past us shortly after my son returned to the pickup. I could not see the signals, but the full array of bright headlights should have been a clue the Turn was about to leave.

IMG_0001.jpg

Friday afternoon (10-11-19) my son took these photos of two diesels + snowplow 940025 red-boarded at MP 18. A second southbound (tt/west) freight was sitting out of sight around the corner.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Monday (10-14-19) was a beautiful October day: sunny, warm but not hot, and no wind. The bright sunshine was bad for taking bird photos at the marsh but perfect for photographing passing trains, as evidenced by these shots taken by my son with the 7DII + 16-35L wide angle zoom.

Northbound (tt/east) hopper train powered by an ABA lineup of GP60M 136, GP60B 333, and B40-8W 563. Things are looking very autumnesque around town.

IMG_0001.jpg

Last weekend I saw two other trains pulled by older units, but there were no opportunities for good shots. One had a Cascade green SD60M in the consist, one of the few green BN units remaining in this area. Photograph them while you can.

Southbound (tt/west) garbage train bound for the landfill at Roosevelt, WA. on the Columbia River.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Southbound (tt/west) COFC freight.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
October started out warm and sunny, but as predicted by nationally know meteorologist Cliff Maas, the seasonal rain, gloom, and doom moved in mid month. https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381443675/weather-with-cliff-mass

Although it was still overcast Tuesday afternoon (10-22-19), my son and I went out to take photos as there was no rain or wind. While there was not much in the way of interesting birds at the marsh, we can almost always depend on a train passing by.

The #1 viewing platform as seen from the start of the boardwalk. It is the viewing platform closest to the tracks and is where my son and I take many of our train photos.

01.jpg

There is some kind of MoW work going on south of Edmonds as evidenced by this piece of equipment rolling in from the south. It will tie up at the Edmonds spur ahead of the afternoon-evening passenger parade. Taken with my 5DIII + new/used 600L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter.

02.jpg

The afternoon passenger parade begins with the 4:30pm Everett bound Sounder. I have noticed that at least two Sounders now have the power unit on the north end of the train. Taken by my son from the #1 viewing platform with the 7DII + 16-35 wide-angle zoom. The autumn foliage is very much in play.

03.jpg

The Sounder unit taken by me from the #2 viewing platform using the Itsed65 super telephoto combo.

04.jpg

We relocated to Sunset Ave., where a southbound (tt/west) freight was waiting for more of the passenger parade to pass. The lead unit was 156, which Trains magazine lists as a GP60-3.

05.jpg

The Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8).

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

The above photos were all taken by my son with the 7DII + 16-35L wide angle zoom. I think he is getting very good at taking train photos.

Another southbound (tt/west) pulled by older diesels passed the marsh Wednesday afternoon (10-23-19). I had to really tweak my son's photo as we are now looking directly into the sun from the #1 viewing platform of the marsh at this time of day. Sunset Ave. or Brackett's Landing North are much better photo locations for afternoon shots this time of year.

Roster info from Trains magazine:
1436: SD60M
255: SD75M
563: B40-8

IMG_0001.jpg

An SD60M is one of the few remaining Cascade green units in this area. I recommend railfans in my area keep their cameras handy and look for it.

I counted at least 13 great blue herons at the Edmonds marsh late Friday afternoon (10-25-19). One of them decided to fly over the tracks to the marina as an afternoon Everett bound Sounder rolled past the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

I see those herons occasionally in the Auburn/Algona/Pacific area. That type of bird I'd normally associate with Florida and my sister's back yard ponds. Sometimes kingfishers, too.

Monday afternoon (10-28-19) My son and I found the Gold Bar Turn at MP 18 waiting out an MoW window. I stopped for my son to take photos of one of the few remaining Cascade green units in our area. He is getting very good and I can trust him to take "important" photos.

3026: GP40-2
333: GP60B
2269: GP38-2

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back