Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Continued from previous page.

A Canada bound coal train rolling past Sunset Ave.

06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg

I took this photo using the camera's HDR feature. That is normally a no-no with a subject in motion, but I thought the "ghost" images would not be noticeable due to the lighting and all of the lookalike coal hoppers.

09.jpg

Back to regular setting.

10.jpg

Last edited:
Southbound (tt/west) with two older diesels up front and two Boeing bunker cars in the rear rolling past the marsh. Question for the locals: is this the Renton Rocket?

Every time you see GPs westbound with tanks and/or Boeing cars, it's the Goldbar Turn. They typically return to Everett light power.

Regular viewers of this thread know that I am always on the lookout for interesting diesel numbers. Thursday afternoon (11-29-18) a northbound (tt/east) container freight passed the marsh with 9494 as the trailing unit of the head end trio.

IMG_0001.jpg

Rear DPUs of the same train. I am still searching for the my white whale, the elusive 9999.

IMG_0002.jpg

The sun is setting its earliest (4:16pm PST)and southernmost from now through the winter solstice on 12-21-18. Thursday (12-6-18) )my son Daren and I went down to Marina Beach Park to take sunset shots for the calendars I give every year as Christmas gifts to family and friends. While I was taking sunset shots, Daren took photos of the 4:30 Everett bound Sounder rounding Pt. Edwards and rolling past the off leash dog park.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Back tracking (pardon the pun) a bit, these shots of a northbound (tt/east) light power hop were taken Tuesday (12-4-18) with the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter. I was photographing wildlife at the fishing pier but could not pass up shots of older power.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

We are in our seasonal Dark Ages where we can go weeks without seeing the sun. I went down to Sunset Ave. Tuesday afternoon (12-11-18) just to keep from going stir crazy. A Canada bound coal train passed by, which I photographed just for the Omaha Posse. It was much darker, gloomier, and doomier than these photos would lead you to believe.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
I took the above shots during a brief respite in the rain. I think Edmonds may be in a rain shadow because we don't get as much rain as some areas.

Another day of perpetual twilight with our last sunshine occurring over a week ago. Friday (12-14-18) I made it down to the marsh about 15 minutes before sunset and caught a southbound (tt/west) garbage train passing through town.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday afternoon (12-18-18) I took the opportunity to run down to the marsh during a brief sunbreak, a term I had never heard until I moved to the Seattle area back in 1991.

A southbound (tt/west) empty oil tanker, which I had earlier seen stopped at MP 18, rolled by.

IMG_0001.jpg

The annual winter closure of the tidal gate and several days of rain has transformed the marsh into "Lake Edmonds." Several great blue herons were resting on the "islands."

IMG_0003.jpg

Single rear DPU

IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday afternoon (12-20-18) a southbound (tt/west) garbage train sat at Sunset Ave with a second southbound behind it. I suspect it was red-boarded there due to M0W work being done south of Edmonds. I felt compelled to take the photo as it was the first sunny afternoon we have had in about two weeks. :cool:

IMG_0001.jpg

Friday is the winter solstice. The days will start getting longer, although not necessarily sunnier.

Finally some sunshine!!!!! :cool:

Sunday afternoon (12-30-18 ) my son and I went down to Marina Beach Park to look for dunlin, a migratory shorebird that often stop along the Edmonds waterfront during their fall/winter migration. Using the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, my son photographed a southbound (tt/west) freight that rolled by shortly after our arrival.

The train is entering the big curve just south of MP 17 by the off leash dog beach. We were standing on a pedestrian bridge over the marina, which elevated us above parking lots and fences.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

A few minutes later one of our local eagles flew by and landed in the tree on the bluff that is above the second diesel in the first photo. I took this shot with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter.

02.jpg

Last edited:
Not many photo ops this month due to bad weather. Late Monday afternoon (1-14-19) my son photographed a Geep powered local or transfer run headed south (tt/west) past the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Of particular note was the trailing unit, NS 5553. Initially I could not find it in The Diesel Shop's Norfolk Southern roster, which was last updated on 1-15-2019. I searched another roster which stated that the unit was a GP38-2, one of a series that had been returned to the lessor, FURX.
Readers who live in this area might keep an eye out for it.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

My son is getting very good at taking photos. I told him to be sure to get the entire train in the photo so everyone could see how short it was.

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday afternoon (1-15-19) a southbound (tt/west) passed by as we ate lunch in the parking lot just south of the boat yard that is visible in the background of my photos taken from the marsh on the other (east) side of the tracks.

IMG_0001.jpg

The trailing unit, BNSF 1008, was in the Heritage I paint scheme.

IMG_0002.jpg

One of the Pt. Edwards bald eagles was perched in its usual spot on the tree at the top of Pine St. Recent construction of new condos below the tree has not stopped the pair from perching there as they have for many years.

IMG_0003.jpg

I like the old H1 paint scheme, the original scheme of the newly created BNSF back in the late 90's. I read somewhere that the dark green is Pine Green of the old Northern Pacific Leowy passenger paint scheme and the orange is Omaha Orange of the original Great Northern diesel and passenger paint scheme.

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
We finally got a stretch of sunny days, so Monday (1-28-19) around noon I drove down to Sunset Ave. The morning Vancouver, BC-Seattle Cascades was running about three hours late and got red-boarded at MP 18 for a Canada bound coal train.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Divers from the underwater dive park off Brackett's Landing North.

IMG_0004.jpg

Rear DPU. In the background work is being done to the dock of the Edmonds-Kingston ferry.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

After the coal train cleared, the Cascades pulled out for its stop at the Edmonds station, a very short distance south just past the Main St. crossing.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back