Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

I went home for dinner after the 5:30 Sounder as my son had tennis lessons at 7:00pm. After dropping him off at tennis, I drove down to nearby Haines Wharf Park for shots of the trains and sunset. Several trains passed through while I was there, here are the highlights.

When we first moved to Edmonds in 1991, garbage trains were pulled by older power. I hope that tradition is returning as a northbound (tt/east) garbage empty was powered by a pair of SD75M's.

11.jpg

12.jpg

The evening Seattle-Vancouver, BC Cascades was powered by one of the EMD units. The smoke has completely blocked out the Olympic Mts.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Tuesday's (8-21-18) Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) was on time. The air quality of the Puget Sound region continues to be very poor due to smoke from wild fires.

IMG_0001.jpg

The Builder had a Winter Park ski train car from Colorado in its consist.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

The Puget Sound region's smoke-out peaked Wednesday (8-22-18). My son and I stayed indoors most of the day and watched the Mariners afternoon game on TV. We got cabin fever and ventured out after the game to photograph sandpipers and other shore birds at the marsh, a rest stop on their annual fall migration. These photos look a little weird due to the smoke screen.

The Seattle-Chicago Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) has been on time the past two days. Wednesday it sported a trailing EMD unit.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Empty coal trains usually return east via Stevens Pass and don't pass through Edmonds. This was the first of two empties heading south (tt/west) through Edmonds from Canada. Due to apricot H2 9844 in the middle of the consist, I recognized it as the same train that had passed loaded though town on its way to Canada on 8/11/18. I am surprised at the eleven day turn around, as it is not that far from here to Roberts Bank, BC; where the coal is transferred to ocean going coal ships. Maybe I should not be surprised, as Sunday I saw a loaded coal train just sitting in Everett.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

A southbound (tt/west) container train passed through with five units in its consist including BNSF War Bonnet 4712.

06.jpg

This summer I have been photographing the baby eagle of the Pt. Edwards resident pair. It fledged last month and has been flying around the area, usually with one of its parents nearby. It had been at the marsh and flew to a pole near the tracks. When I saw a Canada bound coal train approaching, I readied for some shots of the eaglet taking off.

07.jpg

The eaglet did not take off until the train whistled for the Dayton St. crossing.

08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg

Last edited:
A second empty coal train passed by as we were packing up our camera gear to head home. My son took this photo with the 1DX + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.

15.jpg

I had been photographing birds with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter mounted on a tripod. I quickly transferred the 5DIII to the 24-105L wide angle zoom and stopped down to show the effect of the smoke screen on the sun.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Last edited:
The air had cleared quite a bit Friday (8-24-18) when my son and I went down to the marsh to photograph migrating sandpipers. Three northbound (tt/east) trains passed while we were at the #3 viewing platform. I missed one of them because I was busy photographing a juvenile Cooper's hawk eating a small bird. Those photos can be seen by scrolling down page 13 of this thread on Bob's photography website:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/index.php?threads/wildlife-of-edmonds-wa-2018.16307/page-13

The first train I photographed had rear DPU's.

01.jpg

02.jpg

The second train had coke in GATX hoppers up front.

03.jpg

04.jpg

We relocated to the fishing pier, where we struck out with the birds. We did score with two old Geeps pulling a southbound (tt/west) local. I took some rather poor shots from the pier looking through the ferry ramp with my super telephoto set up because I wanted to get photos of the Geep still in BN Cascade green. Such units are very scare around here.

05.jpg

06.jpg

As we left the pier, I noticed that the last two northbounds (tt/east), an oil tanker and a container freight, were stacked up between MP 18 and MP 19. There must have been track work north of them. You can see the lingering smoke in the air.

07.jpg

We returned to the marsh, where a northbound coal train was also stopped just short of the Dayton St. crossing. It departed very slowly as we got out of the pickup and I did not get any photos. I did get photos of another northbound from the #3 viewing platform.

08.jpg

I had read somewhere that rail shipment of coal is down from previous years due to a lessening foreign demand. That is not apparent based on the number of coal trains I see coming through town on their way up to Canada, where the coal is transferred to large ocean going ships for shipment to China and other foreign markets.

Last edited:
Wow, it is smoky over there. I really like the sun/reflection pictures. I know the smoke is a pain, but it does make nice sun photos.

Wow, it is smoky over there. I really like the sun/reflection pictures. I know the smoke is a pain, but it does make nice sun photos.

For a week it was looking like Los Angeles in the 60's. It rained a little yesterday, but the air won't be cleared for good until the forest fires are extinguished.

My non-railroad sunset photos can be seen on Bob's other website, which all photographers are encouraged to join.

http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/index.php?threads/sunsets-of-edmonds-wa.7935/page-9

My son does a pretty good job taking train photos after I adjust the camera settings for him. These are his photos of a southbound (tt/west) taken Monday afternoon (8-27-18) from Brackett's Landing North.

01.jpg

02.jpg

A lot of single stacks.

03.jpg

It looked like something interesting on the rear.

04.jpg

Yes! The KCS's Southern Belle scheme is one of my favorites.

05.jpg

Last edited:
That evening I went to the marsh while my son was at tennis lessons. I noticed something new on the Cascade's Charger unit: rooftop strobes.
I noticed something else: a marquee type display between the headlights and the WSDOT lettering.

06.jpg

The letters did not display constantly but came on and off.
07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

I could not read the display from the photos taken with my 100-400L II telephoto zoom. I'll try to solve the mystery next time by getting closer with the 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter.

10.jpg

War Bonnets have been making a resurgence in the PNW this summer. Tuesday evening (8-28-18) I caught three of them on two southbound (tt/west) freights rolling past the marsh around sunset.

704 was the middle diesel of a seven unit lashup.

IMG_0002.jpg

738 and 759 were the trailing half of a four unit consist.

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
The marquee display is the destination. It should have been reading Vancouver BC .

Normally it's static, but you never know, someone could be playing with a new feature.
Like a new app on a phone.:p

Our sunnny, dry California summer ended earlier this week as the seasons started to change. It was slightly overcast Thursday (8-30-18) afternoon when my son and I took photos from Brackett's Landning North. The 4:30 Sounder was nearly a half hour late.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

The 5:00pm Sounder followed quickly. A southbound (tt/west) freight could be seen in the distance.

04.jpg

The freight turned out to be a garbage train.

05.jpg

The garbage train began its inevitable wait at below Sunset Ave. Fortunately I was up wind.

06.jpg

A southbound (tt/west) empty oil tanker approaches in the distance. It will stand in line for the afternoon Sounder parade to pass.

07.jpg

No Empire Builder between the 5:00 and 5:30 Sounders.

08.jpg

09.jpg

5:30 Sounder in the distance.

10.jpg

Continued on next page.

Last edited:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back