Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

My son and I had been photographing trains and birds at Brackett's Landing North the previous day . Another photographer asked me to pose for a photo as I was going back to the pickup. I think it gives me that professional photographer look. ;)

Bill & Camera 2018-07-09.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday afternoon my son and I visited Haines Wharf, one of the city's newest parks.
http://edmondswa.gov/visit-a-park-text-15/parks-map/haines-wharf-park.html

From the viewpoint and parking at street level, the park offers a near view of the tracks looking down....

01.jpg

and a far view of the tracks looking south.

02.jpg

I set up the super telephoto package (7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter) and the wide angle package (5DIII + 24-105L wide angle zoom) to get shots of the afternoon passenger parade. Preceding the passenger parade were two northbound (tt/east) freights.

The first freight rounds the bend.

03.jpg

04.jpg

and passes the park. Look in the upper left corner past the tall, narrow tree in the foreground. The end of the train has not yet cleared the bend.

05.jpg

But it had two rear DPU's, one of which was a BNSF Warbonnet.

11.jpg

12.jpg

I missed the first Sounder rounding the bend, but caught it at the park.

13.jpg

14.jpg

I was more vigilant and caught the second Sounder rounding the bend. Sometimes you can hear the trains whistling for downtown crossings and sometimes you can't.

15.jpg

Two Sounders on the North Sound route now have the new control cars.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

I waited until after 5:30 but the Empire Builder never showed.

Last edited:
Saturday morning (7-14-18) was one of Puget Sound's lowest tides of the year; so low that people can walk under the Edmonds ferry dock. Service on some other runs to the north is temporarily suspended because the water is too low for the ferries to dock. I took some wide angle shots of a southbound (tt/west) passing Sunset Ave. to illustrate the super low tide.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

That evening my son and I went to the marsh to photograph birds. The Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) was three hours late and had two units.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

A southbound freight had a BNSF War Bonnet as the trailing unit.

09.jpg

Super telephoto closeup. The Santa Fe War Bonnet is one of the oldest diesel paint schemes in North America. It will be a sad day when the last one disappears under the orange & green Swoop.

10.jpg

Monday afternoon (7-16-18) my son and I went back to Brackett's Landing North for photos of birds and trains. BNSF and Sound Transit have launched a campaign to discourage people from walking on the tracks.

01.jpg

I followed a southbound (tt/west) freight with the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x telephoto zoom. I was surprised there was not more distortion from the heat waves.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

My son took some wide angle shots of the meet with the 4:30 Sounder to show the very low tide.

06.jpg

07.jpg

I finished up with more photos using the super telephoto package.

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

It has been sunny and very warm (for here) this week. The Omaha Posse would feel right at home. :cool:

A Geep was the trailing unit of a southbound (tt/west) Thursday evening (7-19-18). The model number stenciled on the sill says it is a GP39-2. The distinctive dynamic brake blister reveals it started life as a GP30.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The Diesel Shop lists BNSF 2752 as former Southern 2532. If I recall correctly; Southern GP30's were high-hooded, so it received a new cab and low hood when it was rebuilt/upgraded.

A five car Sounder special bound for a Seattle Sounders FC soccer match at Century Link Field ("the Clink") rolled past Sunset Ave. Saturday morning (7-21-18). I took these shots with the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter for Itsed65 effect.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Later that evening, a northbound (tt/east) freight rolled past the marsh with several older units in the consist:
1871 (SD40-2, Pasco Hump)
1866 (SD40-2)
3026 (GP40E, a rare Cascade green unit)
333 (GP60B)
2085 (GP38-2)

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

I recently purchased a used 2x III teleconverter from Kenmore Camera. I traded in my series II TC, which I never used because the images were soft.

The new/used TC can combine with my 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens for a reach of 1000mm. Substituting my 7DII with its 1.6 crop fame sensor gives me an effective reach of 1600mm. That may sound impressive, but some of the new, high end mirrorless cameras have 62x lenses, which give a reach of 3200mm without having to tote around a heavy telephoto lens, tripod, and dSLR camera.

Thursday afternoon (7-26-18) my son and I went down to our usual hangout at Brackett's Landing North. I used the 7DII + 500L telephoto lens + 2x III TC, while he used my 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom to photograph trains. It was sunny and warm (by Puget Sound Region standards), but the breeze off the water made it very pleasant.

A southbound (tt/west) freight pulled up in time to be stuck waiting for the afternoon passenger parade.

01.jpg

My son took conventional shots of the meet with the 5:00pm Sounder.

02.jpg

While I took some Itsed65 shots with my new super-duper telephoto setup.

03.jpg

04.jpg

These distant photos will turn out better on overcast days without heat waves.
05.jpg

Last edited:
Next up was the Chiccao bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8), which was on time. Earlier in the week #7 arrived in Edmonds 9 and 1/2 hours late.

06.jpg

There are not many days of the year warm enough to where you would want to get into Puget Sound without a wet suit.

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

We took photos of the 5:30 Sounder, then went home.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

I am very pleased with the 2x III teleconverter and anticipate using it regulaly with the 500L telephoto lens for bird photography.

We are having our third or fourth consecutive California summer of warm sunny days with little or no rain. I won't complain because it is not as hot as the real California summers experienced by Itsed65, as humid as those endured by the Omaha Posse, or as hot and humid as those suffered through by USSHelm.

The resulting smog and haze buildup produces dramatic sunsets. The most popular place in town to view the sunset is from none other than Sunset Ave. Legal parking is at a premium near sunset. The trick is to arrive early and hope your bladder holds out until nightfall.

Sunday evening (7-29-18) I found an empty spot neat the low part of the street that offers the best photo angles of the tracks. I came primarily to photograph the sunset and birds, but a northbound (tt/east) freight accommodated me just as the sun was about to set.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Other sunset photos without trains can be seen by scrolling down page 8 of this thread on Bob's other website.

http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/index.php?threads/sunsets-of-edmonds-wa.7935/page-8

Last edited:
I returned to Haines Wharf Park Monday evening (7-30-18) while my son was at tennis lessons. Shots were taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter and the 7DII + 16-35 wide angle zoom.

The head end power of a southbound (tt/west) passes the park.

01.jpg

Stretched around the bend.

02.jpg

Rear DPUs pass the park.

03.jpg

Headend power approaches the curve. Edmonds-Kingston ferry in the background.

04.jpg

Rear DPUs approach the curve.

05.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back