Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Continued from previous page.

The oil tanker was followed by an auto rack train.

13.jpg

14.jpg

The lone rear DPU was relatively clean BNSF War Bonnet 794.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Last edited:
The auto rack had plenty of time to get to Everett ahead of the afternoon passenger parade.
17.jpg

But for some reason it was held short of the stretch of single track just south of Mukilteo for the 4:30 and 5:00pm Sounders as well as the Chicago-bound Empire Builder (Amtrack #8).

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

My son and I left, so I don't know if the auto rack was held for the remaining Sounders.

Last edited:
Friday afternoon (5-25-18) my son and I went to the marsh before and after watching the afternoon showing of Solo at our downtown theater, one of the last small town, independently owned theaters in the area.

A southbound (tt/west) local went through town at 1:00pm. The Geep quartet was led by consecutively numbered GP38-2's 2080 and 2081 followed by GP39-3 2553.
01.jpg

Class leading GP38 2000 brought up the rear.
02.jpg

Two Boeing bunker cars were on the end of the train. My son took this photo and cut off the last car.
03.jpg

Last edited:
The 6:00pm Sounder had five coaches, possibly in preparation for Sunday's Mariners' Special. It may be easier to assemble a single, five car train Friday afternoon in Seattle than to combine two shorter trains Sunday morning in Everett.
04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Rolling past the #1 viewing platform. These photos were taken from the #2 platform.
07.jpg

Last edited:
Fittingly enough, older units abounded Memorial Day (5-28-18) afternoon at the marsh. The southbound (tt/west) Goldbar Turn was powered by a trio of veterens: Cascade green 2136 (GP38AC), 333 (GP60B), and 2515 (GP39-3).

01.jpg

02.jpg

Nothing really of interest on a Canada bound coal train.

03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:
A northbound (tt/east) local/transfer of some sort was powered by 505 (GE B40-SW), 330 (GP60B), 136 (GP60M), 2081 (GP38-2), and 2000 (GP38-2).

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Nothing unusual on the afternoon Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8).

09.jpg

10.jpg

A northbound (tt/east) freight had Norfolk Southern 7631 in the consist.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Tuesday afternoon (5-29-18) my son and I were at the fishing pier looking for birds to photograph. I took some grab shots of the trailing unit of a southbound (tt/west) freight crossing Dayton St. Many Norfolk Southern units have been appearing on freights recently. I like them as they are usually clean and shiny.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Nothing was going on at the fishing pier so we went to the marsh. My son has gotten so good at photographing trains that I depend on him to take the wide angle shots while I take the telephoto ones. He took these photos of the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) pulling into town.

03.jpg

04.jpg

The garbage train was held at MP 18 on a sunny Tuesday afternoon (6-5-18) for the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8), which was running about fifteen minutes late. A breeze coming off the Sound made the temperature quite pleasant. Not the best time of day to be shooting at Sunset Ave. as you are on the shadow side of the trains

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

I was out of town last weekend, which may or may not be why I took alot of photos Monday (6/11/18). I started out at the marsh. I'm sure you all know what railroad equipment looks like by now, so I opted for wide angle shots that show what stands between me and the tracks.

First up was the morning Vancouver, BC-Seattle Cascades. With a Charger up front and a Seahawk on the rear, it could be called the NFL train.

01.jpg

02.jpg

The Cascade was followed by the Seattle bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #7).

03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:
A work train of some sort headed west. Power was two SD40-2's, one of which was labeled for Pasco hump yard service.

05.jpg

06.jpg

It is the first freight diesel I have ever seen with specific assignment markings.

07.jpg

08.jpg

The work train was followed by a pair of newly painted Geeps pulling two empty Boeing 737 fuselage flat cars.

09.jpg

10.jpg

A northbound (tt/east) tank train had a UP unit in the consist.
11.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:
Panoramic shots of a Canada bound coal train.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

My son and I relocated to Brackett's Landing North. I'll post up those photos tonight.

The parade continued at Brackett's Landing North, starting with a northbound (tt/east) freight with a UP unit in the consist. My son took wide angle shots of the trains passing the beach while I took super telephotos across Brown's Bay.

17.jpg

18.jpg

Next up was an oil tanker.

19.jpg

The trailing DPU was morphing into a "Peach Bonnet."

20.jpg

Last edited:
I had been photographing an eagle circling over Puget Sound. Look closely and you can see it perched in a tree next to the track.

21.jpg

The eagle remained perched while most of the oil tanker passed below it, then took off when the rear DPU's rolled past.

22.jpg

23.jpg

In the meantime, the freight was being held past Picnic Pt. for a southbound empty tanker to pass through the stretch of single track south of Mukilteo.
24.jpg

Last edited:
The northbound tanker headed towards Picnic Pt.

25.jpg

The southbound (tt/west) empty oil tanker rolled passed the freight towards a meet with the northbound tanker.

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

The northbound tanker stopped for the meet with the southbound empty while the freight was waiting for clearance to proceed north through the section of single track.

Headends of the two tankers meeting past Picnic Pt.
29.jpg

The rear DPU of the empty tanker has passed the freight.
30.jpg

You can barely see the tops of the diesels of the southbound empty tanker over the cars of the waiting northbound tanker.
31.jpg

The rear DPUs of the wating northbound tanker are visible behind the red boathouse as the headend power of the southbound empty pass.
32.jpg

Last edited:
The freight had passed through the single track section and was approaching Mukilteo.
33.jpg

The southbound empty tanker passing the beach below Sunset Ave. at Brackett's Landing North.
34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

My son and I left before the start of the afternoon passenger parade.

I finished the day by returning to Sunset Ave. for some train + sunset shots of a northbound (tt/east).

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

Edmonds-Kingston ferry sitting at the dock in the background.

40.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back