Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

The Back to the 90's EMD lashup of 1469 (SD60M), 1664 (SD40-2), and 1406 (SD60M) made another appearance along with 784, a GE unit still in War Bonnet paint. I don't know why so much power was needed as it was not a long train.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Three old Cryo-Trans cars were in the train. I don't know if these were in revenue service as I have seen some being used as storage cars in MoW service.
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:
Last up was an oil tanker with a CN unit in the lashup.

IMG_0008.jpg

According to The Diesel Shop, 5770 is an EMD SD75I, part of an order built in 1996.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Rear DPU's.
IMG_0011.jpg

Last edited:
Monday (5-14-18) former Santa Fe SD75 253 led Geeps 2543 and 2709 on a northbound (tt/east) light power hop past the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The trailing Geep, a remote control unit, had something unusual mounted on its roof. A special antenna for PTC?
IMG_0004.jpg

Wednesday (5-16-18) a southbound (tt/west) Boeing bunker train was red-boared on the outside main at MP 18. The signal for the inside main indicated that it was waiting to be overtaken by another southbound. I took advantage of the situation to get some closeup shots.

Power was 2543 (GP39-3) and 3026 (GP40-E).
IMG_0001.jpg

Diesels in the area are sprouting new antennas which I assume are related to Positive Train Control. The white plastic covers look like unpainted detail parts added to a model railroad engine.
IMG_0002.jpg

Cascade green units are becoming quite a rarity.
IMG_0003.jpg

I believe these cars are filled with 737 parts bound for the Boeing plant in Renton. They remind me of bunkers, similar to European military cars I seen in movies, which is why I call them Boeing bunker cars.
IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
The remaining cars.
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg

I wondered what kind of train would have priority over the bunker train. An executive train? A hot auto track, Z, or Q train?
IMG_0008.jpg

How about the garbage train?
IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

The bunker train waited a few minutes longer before it finally got the signal to depart. We both departed about the same time as I had to pick up my son at the gym.

That's the last thing you want lingering around, a full garbage train on a sunny warm day o_O!

Keep that sucker moving!

Here in Queensland, Aus., we have the Cattle Train, which brings livestock from the city of Rockhampton, in central Qld, to Brisbane, in cage type wagons. It passes through the towns on the way and right next to houses and businesses that back onto the rail line. Brings a different meaning to the phrase "Breath of fresh country air".

Attachments

• 1526592619881.png
    1526592619881.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 346
The signal went from red to yellow after the train passed, which told me another southbound would soon arrive. Behind the power were three Boeing 737 fuselages from Kansas bound for final assembly in Renton.

Just now catching up with this thread. I had to laugh at photo 3 in post 12. It looks like Boeing is now equipping 737's with remote control tail guns. :D

Bruce

I believe these cars are filled with 737 parts bound for the Boeing plant in Renton.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Renton gets anything by rail except for fuselages. That's all I see on the Renton Rocket. These cars should be empties from the Everett plant. The Boeing job sets them out at Mukilteo and the Goldbar Turn takes them to Interbay.

Thursday's (5-17-18) Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) was powered by two Genesis units due to a deadheading Superliner ahead of the baggage car and the Cyrus K. Holliday private car on the rear. Sorry no photos, but I was attending a function at the outdoor patio of a bar near the tracks.

Friday afternoon (5-18-18) a northbound (tt/east) tank train rolled past the marsh as I was photographing birds with my super telephoto setup:
5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 1.4x teleconverter, tripod mounted.

01.jpg

Although the head end power was BNSF, a Wisconsin Central buffer car led me to hope for Canadian National power on the rear DPU.

02.jpg

I switched to my handheld 1Dx + 100-400L telephoto zoom for a shot of the tank cars.
03.jpg

Back to the super telephoto setup for the rear DPU's. No CN power, just two more BNSF units.

04.jpg

Last edited:
Canada's Rocky Mountaineer has started a new season with the Seattle-Vancouver, BC leg passing by the marsh Saturday afternoon (5-19-18).

01.jpg
02.jpg

I was surprised it had only a single bi-level viewing car on the end. Maybe a second one will be added in Vancouver.

03.jpg

04.jpg

I attempted some Itsed65 super telephoto shots of the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) leaving town.

05.jpg

06.jpg

Back to your regularly scheduled shot.

07.jpg

Monday (5-21-18) at the marsh.

One associates the Norfolk Southern with coal trains in Appalachia, not oil tankers in the PNW.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

A coal train, but no NS units.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Wednesday's (5-23-18) Seattle bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #7) was not only over three hours late, the Genesis unit looked as though it had gone through a mud storm.

IMG_0001.jpg

The pattern of dirt on the windshields make the diesel look as though it is squinting. ;)

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:
A first occurred for my son and me Thursday afternoon (5-24-18) as we shot a train at both the marsh (MP 17) and Brackett's Landing North (MP 18).
We were about to leave marsh when an all Canadian National powered northbound (tt/east) oil tanker approached.
01.jpg

Lead unit was CN 2443, a wide-bodied GE C40-8M manufactured in Nov.-Dec. 1992.
02.jpg

It was red-boarded south of the Dayton St. crossing, which gave us a chance to beat it to Brackett's Landing North.
03.jpg

I was still unpacking my gear when the train crossed Main St. and passed the parking lot. The smoke reminded me of an old MLW ALCo.
04.jpg

Last edited:
I had given my son the 7DII + 16-35L wide angle zoom and told him run ahead and photograph the train from the beach. He got some nice photos of it passing below Sunset Ave. The young man on the bench was flying a drone. I hope he got a nice aerial video of the train.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Last edited:
I set up my super telephoto package of the 1Dx + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter and took shots of the last car rounding the curve and stretched along Brown's Bay.

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back