Tracks in the Snow 2011

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Trackside

Plays Well With Others
Consistently great photos from everyone.

What do you do about rain droplets that land on your lense glass?
That weekend I used my shirt a lot, but my 24-105 has a UV filter on it so I wasn't worried about scratching it. For the most part the hood on the lens keeps the rain off and I saw a lot of guys using plastic bags.

What worried me was Friday when I realized the fog on my 100-400mm was inside the lens.... :eek: That's not good!

Here's some of the group at Scenic.

original.jpg

Ed Sand

General Idiot
Fantastic photos. Thanks to all of you for going out and sharing your photographs. I especially like the ones with the other railfans in them. 30 years from now those will be the ones that are treasured most.

DelmonteX

Not FRA
Consistently great photos from everyone.

What do you do about rain droplets that land on your lense glass?
A ounce of prevention....

Oh and don't point the lens up so you can look down at it to see if there are any rain drops on the glass yet.

I had to dry the lens on my Foss River / Builder shot a couple of times. Finally I just covered the lens completely with my camera raincoat.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
Great shots guys, thanks for sharing! There's some really excellent work there.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
A ounce of prevention....

Oh and don't point the lens up so you can look down at it to see if there are any rain drops on the glass yet.
Yeah, who would be silly enough to do that?

Oh, good, there's no dro... splat... DANG!

Yep, been there and done that. ;)

Mascorailbuff

RPO clerk

Here's the video portion from my participation in the "TITS" weekend on Stevens Pass. Thanks to my friend Ross Fotheringham for hosting this annual railfan event. For those unfamiliar with the locations in the film, they are Scenic, East Portal, Merritt, The Sag (Coulter Creek), and Index, WA. I had posted this over in the videography section previously, in case you havn't seen it yet.

Mascorailbuff

RPO clerk
Friday morning: an EB empty coal at Miller River. Jets on a V-train with a Ferromex loco and roll-by at East Sky. Baretable heads out of West Portal at Scenic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mascorailbuff

RPO clerk
The 6154 at Scenic later Friday with that E-coal. The work train returns to Sky with the dozer, there was a small snow-slide on the tracks in the Cashmere area. Dan Larsen at the helm of the 4014 motors up the hill at E Sky. After nightfall a bunch of us hung out at Scenic.

Mascorailbuff

RPO clerk
At Merritt, Matt Adams gets a different perspective Saturday morning. Dan returns with the WB Z near Dryden. US 2 is above the Z train and orchards from the old highway. Another shot of foamers at Scenic: Scott Loathes, Robert Scott, Dave Honan and friend. Tha same train with Dan in the cab.

East Of Easton

Wester Than Lester
Sweet haul for a wet weekend, folks! Night shots against a snowy backdrop always perks my interest. You might have been living in 2010, Ross, I was living in 1986 that weekend hoping for a Bears-Patriots Super Bowl. Even dusted off the Ditka sweater.:eek:

MP 6.7

needs to get a life. ;)
What worried me was Friday when I realized the fog on my 100-400mm was inside the lens.... :eek: That's not good!
That happened to my 10-22. Everything I use but the 10-22 is weather sealed so I didn't worry about it. I had to disassemble the bag when I got home to let everything dry out...the 7D still had big drops of water on it when it came out to dry! :eek:

jkinzel

Amazing photos everyone, thank you for sharing. The orange really jumps out in the pictures with a lot of snow in the back ground.

East Of Easton

Wester Than Lester
Man, that's what, about a class "50" rapids (at Sunset Falls)? You know I've only ever hear of one person to ever successfully shoot that thing and live. I'd like to see someone try in that weather; wicked! Thanks for sharing.:)

Trackside

Plays Well With Others
Dale!! Awesome job man!! I agree with Joel, you did a great job capturing the stormy weather. I like the shot at bridge 1751, and Sunset Falls - YIKES!! I stayed out of Sunset as I was worried I'd get trapped in there. It was good to see such a busy Sunday though.

BTW - I'm going to steal the picture of me at Scenic if you don't mind. :D Can wait to see who posts next!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)