Through the Alps by Steam - 1: Across Gotthard Pass (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

We commence a short Alpine crossing east to south-west on heritage trails...

Video for this part:

August 19 2018

Steam trains only operate a few times during summer months on the NÖVOG Schneeberg rack railway which had been steam-only until 1999.
Engine Z5 "Puchberg" (Krauss/Linz #4215 / built in 1900) smoking uphill between Puchberg main station and Hengsttal stop with the name-giving mountain in the background.
salp0101.jpg

August 15 2018

ÖGEG 77.28 hauling the "Kaiserzug" special to Bad Ischl passed by Traunkirchen on Traunsee in Salzkammergut region.
salp0102.jpg

To the left: I visited Salzkammergut again this year, on October 20 2019. The second Schafberg rack railway service of the day departed St. Wolfgang at 10:50 a.m. towards the middle station Schafbergalm.

To the right: I visited Achensee rack railway from Munich on September 16 2018. That morning, one of the regular Zillertal railway steam trains also ran. So, my first photo spot was Strass im Zillertal. Loco #5 "Gerlos", class Uh (Krauss & Co. Linz #1521 / built in 1930) approached.
salp0103.jpg

Steaming into Ziller Valley.
salp0104.jpg

On the way to Maurach, my postbus was held up by "Almabtrieb" (ceremonial driving down of cattle from mountain pastures into the valley in autumn). However, no need to hurry as only one train pair was operating on Achenseebahn.
salp0105.jpg

Engine #4 "Eben am Achensee" / "Hannah" (Floridsdorf #704 / built in 1889) had been a donor of spare parts since WWII until it was renewed in 2008.
salp0106.jpg

Reversing for the rack free section from Eben to Achensee.
salp0107.jpg

I met Catholic saint Notburga procession towards the church of same name next to the station.

More about the rather unknown local saint (in German, please select translate):
http://www.sagen.at/texte/sagen/oesterreich/tirol/alpenburg/notburga.html

salp0108.jpg

September 13 2019

The last railjet from Vienna - RJX 168 - took me to Zürich HB Friday night after 11 p.m. I came across this Twindexx-tram-meeting on the way to the hotel.
salp0109.jpg

Nightlife at Sihlquai/HB stop.
salp0110.jpg

September 14 2019

I returned to the main station before 6 a.m. after a very short sleep. I had booked a Saver Day Pass on the SBB app, a good deal purchased a few weeks ahead and sometimes it even pays off bought shortly before the day of travel at these ticket prices.
salp0111.jpg

I boarded EuroCity 311 to Milan, reversing at Rotkreuz due to construction work on the Lake Zug eastern shore line until December 2020.
salp0112.jpg

Change to the other platform at Arth-Goldau for Interregio 2309 Basle SBB - Erstfeld.
salp0113.jpg

Everyone ran past the heritage rake at Erstfeld to reach RE 4315 Erstfeld - Bellinzona. Former ÖBB 1st class Schlieren coach 50 81 17-35 017-5 had been procured by Verein Depot und Schienenfahrzeuge Koblenz (DSF) in 2019. The "Elephant" showed its head out of the loco shed.
salp0114.jpg

I took the bus from Göschenen down the northern Gotthard pass ramp to Wassen and learnt about road closures due to the "Alpabzug" (the same as "Almabtrieb" in Austra) festivities around noon. After stocking up on Rivella at the supermarket, I marched uphill to the second railway level. The valley still was in the shade, I waited here for a while. Suddenly loud engine noises could be heard and this rustic vehicle came down the farm road. Who was on board? The same "Alp-Öhi" I had captured here five years before still mowed steep Alpine pastures with his scythe while smoking cigars!

Picture from 2014:
http://raildata.info/zeug/herl230.jpg

The accompanying trip report:
The Land of Railroad Magnificence 2/2 (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...-land-of-railroad-magnificence-2-2-50-p.10285

A TILO (Treni Regionali Ticino Lombardia) FLIRT going uphill at 9 o'clock as RE 4317 Erstfeld - Lugano.
salp0115.jpg

IR 2313 Luzern - Airolo on the Mittlere Meienreussbrücke. There was a fantastic mood listening to proper alphorn blowers in the village (see start of the video).
salp0116.jpg

IR 2315 Luzern - Airolo at 11:11 a.m. encountered a spectacle hardly possible anywhere else: every driver sounded the horn passing the portal of Maienkreuztunnel, in return the Swiss flag was swung at the house next to it.

The scene on video:

salp0117.jpg

Re 420 159 hauling PE 3092 "Gotthard Panorama Express" Lugano - Flüelen on the upper level downhill from Göschenen, you can spot it again on the lowest Wassen level.
salp0118.jpg

A flag was waved back from an open window.
salp0119.jpg

View to the 2nd level with 9797 ft Chli Windgällen in the background.
salp0120.jpg

"Gotthard Panorama Express" on the Middle Meienreuss Bridge with Wassen "Alpabzug".

Fitting sounds:

salp0121.jpg

Out of the Wattinger loop tunnel across Reuss River into the famous photo curve.
salp0122.jpg

A group of photographers waited for the slightly delayed steam train. Below Wassen it took an almost Eritrean stop to build up steam. The show commenced at 11:50...
salp0123.jpg

I sprinted to the portal of the Obere Entschigtal-Galerie. C 5/6 2978 "Elephant" approached around the corner under watchful eyes.
salp0124.jpg

This view seems more harmonic to me than the mass spot: two times on the second and once on the third level.

The whole run-past on video:

salp0125.jpg

I quickly walked downhill to the village centre. Shuttle buses to Göschenen operated more often due to the festival. So, I actually managed to catch the scheduled photo arrival.
4K-video-screenshot.
salp0126.jpg

Almost entering the Gotthard Tunnel, opened in 1882 it is 35 years older than the loco.
salp0127.jpg

Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MGB) R 634 arrived on the Schöllenen Gorge rack railway from Andermatt across the Reuss.
salp0128.jpg

The "Elephant" shunted to get water at the same time.
salp0129.jpg

102 years old, the last steam engine ever built for the SBB.
salp0130.jpg

salp0131.jpg

A functional water crane facilitated taking water within a few minutes.
salp0132.jpg

Meanwhile, I boarded R 641 uphill to Andermatt.
salp0133.jpg

R 530 from Visp arrived.
salp0134.jpg

The Schöllenenbahn train had efficiently disappeared into the shed and reappeared again just as quickly.
salp0135.jpg

Additional coaches were shunted by Schöma diesel Tm 2/2 4971 (built in 1960, 1980 ex Itzehoe cement works). Its sister engine and four carriages had run away empty into the gorge crashing in 2016.
salp0136.jpg

R 549 took me to Realp where it exactly met the arriving Furka auto shuttle. I walked towards Dampfbahn Furka-Bergstrecke (DFB), a new depot is just being erected next to Golfclub Andermatt Realp.
A few old vehicles can be found at the heritage station, including this car of the Vietnamese Tháp Chàm - Đà Lạt rack railway from where a few of the DFB locos had been procured (again). Maybe also a preview for the new year... :0)
salp0137.jpg

A little more than an hour after snapping the last "Elephant"-pics, I managed to capture another engine under steam: HG 3/4 #1 "Furkahorn" (SLM #2315 / built in 1913) left Realp loco shed to take over the afternoon train. After electrification of the Furka-Oberalpbahn in 1941, it had been sold to the French colonial regime of Vietnam in 1947 and repurchased again in 1990.
salp0138.jpg

2:20 p.m. departure to Oberwald viewed from the bank of Reuss River near the depot.
salp0139.jpg

This scene on video:

salp0140.jpg

Towards Furka Pass.
salp0141.jpg

R 553 departed at 2:51 p.m. to Visp.
salp0142.jpg

I travelled back to Andermatt by R 538 formed of an MGB Stadler KOMET EMU - the first I had seen. R 843 from Disentis/Mustér could be spotted through the window descending from Oberalp Pass. On the way we crossed a Glacier Express at Hospental.
salp0143.jpg

Meeting of trains at Andermatt a few minutes later.
salp0144.jpg

R 646 emerging out of the gorge at Göschenen.
salp0145.jpg

Found on the mainline platform ("(use) brains while lifting" sticker in Swiss dialect).
salp0146.jpg

IR 2428 Airolo - Zürich HB met R 653 to Andermatt at the Gotthard Tunnel.
salp0147.jpg

RE 4331 Erstfeld - Chiasso took me to its terminal. View at stabled trains out of the door at Biasca.
salp0148.jpg

Arrival at Swiss border station Chiasso under construction. Again, I stocked up on Rivella before leaving to Italy.
salp0149.jpg

TILO connects Tessin region seamlessly with Milan. At sunset, I boarded a crowded FLIRT to Milano Centrale where we will continue our travels next year following the motto: "South of the Alps". But next: calendars. :)
salp0150.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back