This Week in Western PA

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ssw9662

Just a quick batch of photos from my most recent trip. I lucked out with some incredible lighting all week so I was able to get some pretty nice shots. Locations and railroads are varied - enjoy!

12R rolling north along the Susquehanna River on its way to Binghamton.
8907839159_a0cb48eba5_c.jpg

On the near side of the river, here's 21T heading over the oft-photographed stone arch bridge in Duncannon.
8907834283_8be6ec57eb_c.jpg

An eastbound intermodal passes a forgotten structure along the road in Mexico.
8912927707_55f36ee8eb_c.jpg

Wheeling & Lake Erie train 643 pulls off the new Westland Branch with a train of loaded propane cars.
8914698333_3da08bb70b_c.jpg

21J passes through the interlocking at Conpit.
8918260854_1045644be2_c.jpg

A northbound Buffalo & Pittsburgh freight train rips around the S curve at Big Run.
8918518926_8567c8eb0b_c.jpg

The Virginian heritage unit brings 21M around the curve at Tyrone. Only the third Heritage leader I've gotten thus far.
8919028607_a06af9fc70_c.jpg

Back at Mexico again, here is 21T heading west with the beautiful Tuscarora Mountain in the background.
8919016485_aa0b40ed8f_c.jpg

Finally, 19G at Newport just before sunset.
8919102723_ef4075bbef_c.jpg

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
Nice. The Big Run S curve is my pick.

What would you recommend in Western Pennsylvania as good stops on a trip to Horseshoe Curve?

ssw9662

Thanks everyone! I will be sure to post more from my future trips this summer.

Nice. The Big Run S curve is my pick.

What would you recommend in Western Pennsylvania as good stops on a trip to Horseshoe Curve?

Depends on what you're looking for and where you're coming from. Assuming you're coming from the west I would definitely stop in Pittsburgh on your way out there. In the general Pittsburgh area you have a couple of nice spots to sit (Station Square and Homestead) along high-volume lines. Also, if you are feeling more adventurous you can try to go after the Wheeling & Lake Erie, Allegheny Valley Railroad or the Union Railroad, although all of these are much lower in traffic so they can be hard to track down.

There is a whole cluster of good spots in the area from Altoona to Johnstown that are worth visiting on a trip to Horseshoe Curve. Cassandra, Cresson and Summerhill are all fairly popular spots, and there are plenty of others you will encounter on the drive out there.

B_Kosanda

Outstanding In My Field
I was expecting to see some coal trains, especially since there was a power plant in the one photo. Nicely done.

Bill

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)