The Nebraska Central Railroad Thread

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

The next set is the ADM Turn around David City on April 10, 2015. The fourth picture is the Columbus Local building their train in UP's Columbus Yard on May 23, 2015.

DSC01267.JPG
DSC01271.JPG
DSC01281copy.jpg
DSC01293.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A few more from May 23rd. The first picture was taken at the Grand Island shop. The other 3 were of the Cedar Local lead by 8057. The Cedar Local works daily from Oconee to Preferred Sands West of Genoa.

DSC01306.JPG
DSC01356.JPG
DSC01358.JPG
DSC01361copy.jpg

When I was at Columbus on Sunday last week there were 2 big UP locos sitting at the NC building along hwy 81 just before the line turns toward Oconee. Do you think that is from a UP transfer job or does the NC crew just borrow the locos? Great pics. I might have to take a week day off and go to GI and beyond. Tom

When I was at Columbus on Sunday last week there were 2 big UP locos sitting at the NC building along hwy 81 just before the line turns toward Oconee. Do you think that is from a UP transfer job or does the NC crew just borrow the locos? Great pics. I might have to take a week day off and go to GI and beyond. Tom

Thanks Tom! The UP locos were probably from an ethanol or grain shuttle. They use UP power on shuttles and also the MCBNC/MNCCB (Council Bluffs to Nebraska Central and visa versa) and the MNPNC/MNCNP (North Platte to Nebraska Central and visa versa). The MCBNC becomes the Norfolk Local once a NCRC crew takes over and the UP power stays on the train up to Norfolk and back in the evening/night. The North Platte train usually gets switched out so it could have been the power for the next days train once it was made up. All the railroad are now delivering power for shuttle trains back to a terminal instead of keeping them on sight. So, when there is a grain shuttle to Enola, or an ethanol shuttle to Albion they will bring the power back to Columbus after the train is spotted.

Hope this helps!
-Joel

On May 29, 2015 I saw the ADM Turn again on the West side of David City. Then on the 31st the Ord Local was coming into Grand Island on my way through town. I happened to get lucky enough to get a three way meet shot at the BNSF overpass.

DSC01365.JPG
DSC01376.JPG
DSC01395.JPG
DSC01396.JPG

Wow! What a lucky shot! And a Grinstein Green one too. Did you buy a lottery ticket after that? Great to see the NC is doing well. Thanks for the Columbus info.

Thanks guys! I really should have bought a lottery ticket that day I don't know what I was thinking. My next Nebraska Central chase was on June 22 when the Stromsburg Local and Platte Valley Turn were both due in Central City about the same time. When I got into town the Platte Valley Turn was working at the ethanol plant and soon after the Stromsburg Local came in with the Palmer cars to set out in the old BN yard. This is a very interesting operation as six axle locomotives are not allowed in the old BN yard. Because of this there is always one of their GP38-3s in Central City or nearby along the Stromsburg Sub. In this case 6331 and 6333 brought in the cars and then the engineer jumped aboard 902 and hooked onto the back of the train. Then they pulled onto the old BN tracks, jumped back on the blue units, and took them back to the wye for the Stromsburg Sub. Then they came back to pull all the Palmer cars and spotted the four empties on the Stromsburg lead then pushed all the remaining loads back into the BN yard to be unloaded and trucked to Palmer. Hopefully this all makes sense and if not just ask and I'll try to do better explaining it!

DSC01512.JPG
DSC01515.JPG
DSC01518.JPG
DSC01521.JPG

Here's a few more of the model railroad type switching at Central City. I also took a quick opportunity to take a picture of the Platte Valley Turn waiting to leave town on the UP mainline back to Grand Island. I also took a picture of the Stromsburg Local near Hordville going back East before I headed back to Lincoln.

DSC01525.jpg
DSC01527.JPG
DSC01531.JPG
DSC01536.jpg

Are the blue units Nebraska Central ones as well? That shade of blue looks like the old MoPAc.

Yes they are, 6331 used to be Ferromex and 6333 was originally an SP unit and they were rebuilt by CSX at one point so they have quite a history. I've also heard that NCRC is going to be painting these units sometime this year.

On June 25, 2015 I went to David City to chase the Stromsburg Local going West. As you can tell it was a very large train in the morning. I only chased it as far as Shelby as I needed to get back home and there are many slow orders on the Stromsburg Sub. Most likely 6331 and 6333 were going to help one of the elevators on the West end of the line load cars for ADM and bring the train a little ways toward David City so the usual ADM Turn crew would be able to do all their work that night. As you may be able to tell my photos from here on out are a little better quality because I upgraded my camera.

DSC00014.JPG
DSC00015.JPG
DSC00016.JPG
DSC00019.JPG

On June 30, 2015 I caught up to the Ord Local in St. Paul and chased it on its way South to Grand Island.

DSC00033.JPG
DSC00034.JPG
DSC00035.JPG
DSC00038.JPG

A few more photos from June 30 as the train got closer to Grand Island. A mixture of the high humidity and the smoke from the Canadian wildfires made it look more cloudy than it actually was.

DSC00039.JPG
DSC00040.JPG
DSC00044.JPG
DSC00054.JPG

On June 30 there was also a work train scheduled on the Stromsburg Sub. I first caught 902 on the South side on Central City on my way to St. Paul. The other two photos were taken between Osceola and Shelby.

DSC00022.jpg
DSC00060.JPG
DSC00063.JPG

Speaking of the Ord branch. Here is a pic from my former slide collection of the bridge just south of Elba. no date. Want to go back someday and capture the scene with a Neb Cent train in the same place. Trestle still exsist.
UP Ord branch Elba, NE.JPG

I know you don't know when that was taken, but any idea when that locomotive was retired? That might help narrow down the date?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back