The Land of Railroad Magnificence 1/2 (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

The video accompanying the trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKJad_c9CkM

In August 2014 I spent a few days with friends and family in Austrian Salzkammergut region. However, I was so little focused on railroads at the time, that the others had to remind me of an ÖGEG (Austrian Society for Railway History) "imperial" special to Bad Ischl – the former emperor’s summer residence - on August 15 2014. We experienced the spectacle with a wink in the crowd – only I managed to smuggle myself amongst the few photographers. Steamer 78.618 historically does not quite match the era of good old "Franz Joseph"... ;-)
herl101.jpg

On August 16 2014 we visited Hallstatt.
herl102.jpg

The number of class 1142s in service was noticeable, no matter if they operated REX trains to Stainach-Irdning or locals to Obertraun-Dachsteinhöhlen. I only spotted one Talent EMU per day, otherwise class 1144. That weekend 1142.575 in old blood-orange livery with vintage logo hauled REX 4422 and REX 4429, here the latter.
herl103.jpg

Salzkammergut-drizzle alternated with sunshine, but this could not deter Asian tourists on an excursion boat.
herl104.jpg

We steamed back to the railway station on the opposite side of the lake with a typical Austrian view of the train and the yellow press... ;-)
herl105.jpg

Next morning, on the beautiful August 17 2014, we started our Alpine tour from Bad Aussee, at Mitterweißenbach we met REX 4422 with 1142.575 again.
herl106.jpg

Without "Sparschiene" (a saver ticket) we rode from Attnang-Puchheim to Salzburg, where we used the Bavaria day rover ticket to board a Meridian local to Munich – it takes only little more time than the Railjet express.
herl107.jpg

At Chiemsee the rake consisting of 4 Stadler FLIRT class units was boarded by hoards of muddy festival visitors, which did not bode well for our tight connection at Munich to alex (Allgäu Express). Additionally, the dispatcher decided to let our train arrive on platform 10 outside the station hall, not platform 11 in the terminal building, which meant running three lengths of the structure to track 27 also situated outside. We made it to alex last second thanks to a friendly conductor/buffet attendant in the last car. We checked into our hotel in Kempten, then I quickly walked to river Iller bridge to catch Sunday-only EuroCity 1290 to Zürich. The rest of the day was dedicated to sightseeing at Kempten and enjoying Allgäu beer traditions – avoiding the Allgäu festival week just ending that day. Monday morning, August 18 2014, I departed early to Immenstadt and walked towards the Alpsee lakes. At Little Alpsee I encountered a wonderful mood accentuated by ground level mist. ALX 84140 München - Lindau rushed past me after having been parted at Immenstadt, the second half headed for Oberstdorf.
herl108.jpg

I climbed around on the meadows along Big Alpsee to catch more of the morning mood with Alps in the background.
herl109.jpg

EC 196 München – Zürich came by, the wind picked up and a slight cloud cover appeared. I could not use the direct path going up as it was completely muddy and had been trampled by herds of cattle, but a footpath also led along the road here.
herl110.jpg

After a short ride to Martinszell, summer weather had gained the upper hand again. Two northbound loco-hauled express trains pass here within only minutes: behind InterCity 2084/82 to Hamburg, IC 2012 "Allgäu" Oberstdorf - Magdeburg approached double-headed by class 218.
herl111.jpg

Allgäu idyll with typical vehicle class.
herl112.jpg

At noon we fetched our luggage from the hotel and treated ourselves to a taxi, as you would have to pull the suitcases through the least interesting part of Kempten again. The otherwise silent cabby only seemed glad that the festival week was over. Once again we took the alex - where we shared the compartment with two merry pensioners – and soon approached miniature-Venice Lindau via the railroad dam. We continued by EuroCity, which was taken over by a SBB Cargo class Re 421. After we had crossed the Rhine, finally the land of railroad magnificence was reached!
herl113.jpg

Indeed... ;-)
A double decker regional express (RE) took us from St. Margrethen to Chur, where we had immediate connection to the Rhaetian Railway (RhB) meter-gauge Albula-RE.
herl114.jpg

Of course we had followed the RhB landslide accident all over the news just a week before closely, but the line already had been opened again two days ago (August 16). We passed the accident site (see video at 15:10) at a temporary speed restriction – the hostess of our well-known hotel Grischuna at Filisur thought the reports had been exaggerated. Yet what could be seen definitely defied that – only vertical would have been steeper, and the trees were a huge stroke of luck for the one car that fell off the tracks after the landslide. At Filisur I quickly walked to the Landwasser-Viaduct viewpoint for the two freight trains usually meeting at 6:30 p.m., not always at the same station, but always reliably at that time. Ge 6/6 II 705 "Pontresina" hauled freight 5157 uphill across the famous viaduct.
herl115.jpg

Ge 6/6 II 707 "Scuol" was operating the Albula regional express trains all the time during our stay. The trains met at Filisur like clockwork, the postbus also awaited its passengers.
herl116.jpg

Ge 4/4 III 641 in “Coop supermarket” ad livery rolled down Albula Pass with RE 1164 St. Moritz - Chur.
herl117.jpg

A (Rivella-)break...
herl118.jpg

Getting up early was no problem, especially since legendary Hotel Grischuna (Rhaeto-Romanic for Grisons) is located right next to the station. Our ordered packed breakfast never arrived at our room – in the evening we found out, why: it was a case of mistaken identity, someone else had just taken it. As compensation we were served Filisur Röteli (cherry liquor).
Punctually at 6:35 a.m. on August 19 2014 R 1141 to Chur picked us up at Filisur. The sky looked nice, but a rainy day had been forecast.
herl119.jpg

We changed at Chur for the postbus to Flims Waldhaus, the oldest postbus route in Grisons. From Flims Waldhaus you can walk on a touristic route to Lake Cauma, where you could swim (obviously not that August, due to the cold weather) and which can be reached by a self-service cable car.
herl120.jpg

We marched on until the edge of the Rhine gorge, Ruinaulta, came into view. Down in the valley RE 1233 Disentis/Mustér - Chur - Landquart - Scuol-Tarasp was about to arrive at Versam-Safien station.
herl121.jpg

While we were hiking to the Rhine gorge, clouds still covered the 10000 ft high peaks around Safien Valley.
herl122.jpg

First stop was "Il Spir" - "The Swift", an observation platform suspended above the rock face.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_spir
A complete view of Ruinaulta opened up. Here the Anterior Rhine had eaten its way through the Flims mountain creep about 10000 years ago. RE 1220 to Disentis/Mustér just emerged from Chli Isla tunnel approaching Versam-Safien. In higher resolution you could also spot the postbus driving downhill from Safien Valley meeting the trains, always sounding the posthorn in corners.
Panorama of several 10mm-portrait-photos.
herl123.jpg

Down in the valley you can spot a combined railroad/hiking trail bridge connecting Isla Bella to the left and Chli Isla to the right between Rhine loops. Freight train 5225 to Ilanz was just traversing it.
herl124.jpg

We ended the session at the observation platform in time until a French-speaking tour group of pensioners arrived. Along the path into the gorge I discovered this viewpoint towards Versam-Safien station, which is just being reached by RE 1241 to Scuol-Tarasp. In the background you can spot the rocks actually called "Ruin' Aulta" eponymous with the gorge (Rhaeto-Romanic: "Ruina" - quarry; "aulta" - tall).
herl125.jpg

Super-wideangle panorama of the same view. By the way, no path is continuing to the right as we are situated right at the edge of Ruinas sut Crestaulta, above which “Il Spir” is suspended.
herl126.jpg

Via combined railroad bridge we reached the other side of the river. This photo was taken from the top of Chli Isla, which has to be crossed on the regular hiking trail as there is no passing of the rocks along the shore. Two crazy people were mountainbiking over this foot-wide ridge.
Below us RE 1245 to Scuol-Tarasp was about to enter the tunnel, hauled by Ge 4/4 II 615 "Klosters".
herl127.jpg

At Versam-Safien we boarded the next train to Disentis/Mustér. Ge 4/4 II 618 "Bergün" in Edelweiss Air ad livery just had taken over Glacier Express 904 Zermatt - St. Moritz from a MGB (Matterhorn-Gotthard-Bahn) engine. In the background you can spot the peak of Pizzo del Sole.
herl128.jpg

15 minutes later RE 1257 left Disentis towards Scuol-Tarasp, with the dominant Benedictine monastery in the background.
herl129.jpg

A few moments later Ge 4/4 II 613 "Domat/Ems“ passed my spot hauling RE 1257, of course a perfect "sandwich" opportunity... ;-)
herl130.jpg

As soon as you leave Disentis towards Chur, a wonderful view into the Cadi, the upper part of Surselva, the valley of the Anterior Rhine, opens up. RE 1236, having just departed Sumvitg-Cumpadials, approached through the multi-layered landscape past villages, barns and haystacks.
herl131.jpg

Just seen from the distance, now Ge 4/4 II 628 "S-chanf" heading RE 1236 approached my position, only two curves from its terminal Disentis.
herl132.jpg

Half an hour was left for the engine to reverse and for me to catch RE 1261 homewards.
herl133.jpg

herl134.jpg

Busy shunting at Ilanz.
herl135.jpg

Like the day before Ge 6/6 II 707 hauled Albula-express trains, this time RE 1157 one hour earlier. With such a beautiful train a classic view of the freshly joined Rhine Valley at Reichenau-Tamins definitely is an option.
herl136.jpg

I obviously was not the only one on the train... ;-)
herl137.jpg

We arrived at our base Filisur with slight delay due to the temporary speed restriction. This time of year the evening sun reached the valley wonderfully.
herl138.jpg

Should we interrupt our after work beer for the freight crossing at 6:30 p.m.?
herl139.jpg

Ah well, one more flower pic...
herl140.jpg

August 20 2014 had been forecast as full rainy day – what to do? Well, into the high mountain area! It was raining practically everywhere, just not at the locations we visited...
herl141.jpg

At Ospizio Bernina station we got off and hiked along Lago Bianco in dense fog. We crossed the watershed between the Adriatic and Black Sea, walked around Lej Nair, then suddenly this view opened up...
herl142.jpg

R 1636 Tirano - St. Moritz was formed of "older" class ABe 4/4 III EMUs, all in all three pairs were in service that day, the rest of the trains was hauled by omnipresent new Stadler Allegra class EMUs. Lej Pitschen was passed during the descent to Bernina Lagalb.
herl143.jpg

R 1621 to Tirano climbed the final grade from Bernina Lagalb to the highest point of the RhB network.
herl144.jpg

On the way to Bernina Lagalb the obligatory mountain pasture was traversed.
herl145.jpg

herl146.jpg

We leave the realm of Alpine flowers...
herl147.jpg

... and shortly visit rather Mediterranean vegetation at Brusio.
herl148.jpg

Around noon an hour-long short photo session is possible at the well-known place. Bernina Express 973 to Tirano, hauled by ABe 4/4 III 53 and 54, is passing downhill between two uphill local trains.
The train has been prolonged a slightly virtually... :0)
herl149.jpg

View across Brusio, from the left R 1656 Tirano - St. Moritz approached the station.
herl150.jpg

See you for part 2/2!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back