The Golden State Limited

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

sarahz

Good evening.

I am brand new to this forum, and I'm here looking for the answer to a very specific historical question. Please accept my apologies if this is not the right place to ask.

My name is Sarah Zettel, and I'm an author. I'm at work on a series of young adult novels set in 1935, and I'm stuck looking for a detail. I want my characters to take the Golden State Limited from Los Angeles to Chicago. What I cannot find out is the name, or location of the station the Golden State Limited would have left Los Angeles from in 1935. All the references I can find only name Union Station, but that was not built until 1939, and I do know (at least I think I know) the Golden State Limited was running in '35. I was wondering if anyone here might know what station it would have used, or have an idea where I might find the answer. Thank you for your help.

muralist0221

On the other end, the Golden State left from LaSalle St. Station in Chicago. Saw the Golden State a number of times, but never rode it. It was supposed to be the Golden Rocket, a collaboration between Rock Island and Southern Pacific, but SP backed out. The equipment had already been ordered and ended up on the Golden State. AH, the memories

sarahz

Thanks, that confirms what I've read. It was a lot easier to find information about the Chicago stations of the period than the L.A. stations, which probably will not surprise anybody here.

lcar4000

Golden State

Sarah: I have a schedule from the Golden State from 1932. If you think it might be of interest, just e-mail me at lcar4000@aol.com if you'd like me to either copy (and send to you) the schedule or, if you'd like, I could just summarize it in an e-mail.
Thanks

sarahz

lcar4000, thank you! Believe it or not, I was able to find a scan of a schedule for 1935 on line, and it lead directly to this question, because while it listed all the different station stops in Chicago (LaSalle St among them), for Los Angeles, it only said "Los Angeles"

lcar4000

Golden State, Continued

Great! By the way, I'm also using the train in a portion of a book I'm trying to write as well. However, the setting is the late 1950's, in southwest Kansas.

sarahz

Kansas and trains. Wow. Great minds think alike. The first book in my series starts in Kansas, but in 1935, so we're smack in the depths of the Dust Bowl. The drifts played holy hell with the railroads.

lcar4000

Golden State

Sounds fascinating. Have any of the books in the series been published yet? I'd be interested in reading the series, even though I'm no longer a young adult. For some odd reason, this train and the route it followed have stayed in my mind for years. Once, on the way to Flagstaff from Illinois, I drove along the Golden State Route from about Pratt, KS to Tucumcari, NM. Highway 54 follows the tracks for most of the route, through towns like Greensburg, Guymon, Dalhart, and several others, and as I drove I thought about John Steinbeck and wondered if he'd been on the same road while researching his most famous book. Anyway....there is an extensive history of the Golden State Limited in Winter 2002 edition of Classic Trains magazine. It might be available online.

sarahz

Thanks, I'll check into that. I will admit that the trains are mainly details in the books, the series is what gets called a "paranormal," meaning there's a lot of magic and magical critters. , but you cannot do a picture of the US in the 1930s, never mind of Chicago, and _not_ talk about trains. And the songs about trains, and the legends about trains (props to Larry Tye and his fabulous book Rising from the Rails which introduced me to the legend of the Pullman Porter work hero Daddy Joe). The first book is called DUST GIRL, and is coming out this June from Random House. http://www.randomhouse.com/book/210178/dust-girl-by-sarah-zettel

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)