The Beginning of the End? Think Again.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

mkstarks

Since the beginning of time, we have faced forward without looking back. With that comes the fact that technology and it’s advancements propel us into the next millennia and things that can’t keep up quickly found themselves getting pushed aside and forgotten. Whether it’s your first generation iPhone, computer, car or truck, there comes a time where you have to make the choice to move forward.

The same thing goes for the railroads, except on a larger scale. Capital investment in the physical plant is a necessity to stay competitive and meeting ever exceeding customer demands. Over the last several years, the major locomotive builders such as EMD and GE have stuck to primarily larger road locomotives which has left the smaller railroads to rely on smaller and much older locomotives that the larger railroads have felt they no longer needed.

California Northern Railroad (CFNR) started here in the state in 1993 under the ownership of Park-Sierra Rail Group and quickly began providing quality service to its customers. In 2002, Park-Sierra sold CFNR to RailAmerica, a company which had a network of short line railroads across the US.

Under RailAmerica’s ownership, the railroad continued to grow and a decision was made with the help of a grant from the State of California to order five new genset low emissions locomotives to replace twelve of the older and “less efficient” locomotives. The order went out to National Railway Equipment Company for the 3GS21B-DE locomotives. Arriving in 2009, the locomotives were quickly put to use which led to the sidelining and eventual removal of several of the older locomotives (they were sent to other RA properties out of the state).

Many rail photographers lamented the newer units, seeing that they were now replacing the old classics like CFNR 113, a GP15-1 that was originally built for the Chicago & North Western railroad. But, the thing with new technology, sometimes it has its bumps and those bumps come with downtime.

Here we are, four years later and we still find the old technology turning a wheel, while the new unit is down for maintenance.

p51

Marty, it runs on steam!
Here we are, four years later and we still find the old technology turning a wheel, while the new unit is down for maintenance.
I can't help but comment that the 'ultra-low emissions' marking on the side of this unit is quite ironic. If the engine isn't running at all, I guess that makes it 'no emissions'! :p

Bill Anderson

Good photos. I have seen those old units pulling trains along I-5 north of Woodland. I believe one of them is now up here on a shortline out of Centralia.

WhoWantsTrained

Train Loving Pilot
But naturally, the new unit will be down more often for mx since it's more-than-likely being used more than the older units. It's a matter of perception.

That being said, you can't help but love the older units. Thanks for the photos!

mkstarks

Sorry for the red x's, I reorganized and redesigned my website, which in turn created the broken links. Unfortunately it appears since the vBulletin upgrade here that we can no longer edit our old posts. Thanks to Dave for posting the link to the specific blog post.

One of the admins will need to go into the Admin Control Panel > Message Posting and Editing Options > Time Limit on Editing of Posts and set it to 0 (if so desired, so that users can edit their posts indefinitely). I run a couple of different vB based forums so I've experienced it before.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)