Tennessee Valley Railroad

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

momagna

After attending the Florida Cracker Trail ride and wagon train and driving to Tennessee I luckily made the very first day of running the locomotive at TVRM Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga, TN.

As a volunteer on the Niles Canyon Railway I was able to hand out NCRY business cards to the employees of the TVRM .....

I paid for my ticket and boarded the train car. Later, I learned you can pay a small fee to ride in the cab... Well, of COURSE I want to do that!

All pictures taken with a Nikon D3300 hope you enjoy them.

https://www.tvrail.com/ Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum

DSC_0637.JPG
DSC_0638.JPG
DSC_0640.JPG
DSC_0641.JPG
DSC_0642.JPG

Hopped on to the car and the ride begins. There are just four people who purchased tickets for today's ride (the only running).

DSC_0644.JPG
DSC_0645.JPG
DSC_0646.JPG
DSC_0648.JPG

Last edited:
I was told the lower bridge flooded out and this bridge is used now.

These were taken March 1, 2018 ut was raining a lot lately and shows in the stream movement.

DSC_0650.JPG
DSC_0651.JPG
DSC_0652.JPG
DSC_0654.JPG
DSC_0655.JPG

As we head to the stop we end up traveling 3 miles one way. We return on the same track back to the original station.

DSC_0656.JPG
DSC_0657.JPG
DSC_0658.JPG
DSC_0659.JPG
DSC_0660.JPG

Conductor and Brakeman of the TVRM. When I handed the Niles Canyon business card to each one the first guy said "Niles!!!! You have the Southern Pacific 9010!! I follow her everyday!" Then the Conductor said OH! You have the SP 9010 we all follow her progress! So I told them I work on the SP 9010 Krauss-Maffei all of the time. Check out the mighty SP 9010!!! Of course donations keep us working to the goal of having her pull a consist the only Diesel Hydraulic left.

http://sp9010.ncry.org/

DSC_0661.JPG
DSC_0662.JPG
DSC_0663.JPG
DSC_0664.JPG
DSC_0665.JPG

So after 3 miles we exited the cars in time to walk up to the turntable to watch the locomotive turn around....

DSC_0666.JPG
DSC_0668.JPG
DSC_0669.JPG
DSC_0670.JPG
DSC_0671.JPG

We were cautioned to not touch or lean anywhere near the ropes set out because the pilot will hit us!

As we waited and then waited the (sad) announcement was made that "Not today" The turntable did not work...Bummer!

Instead we turned back and went over towards the car barn to see what is around the yard.

DSC_0679.JPG
DSC_0680.JPG
DSC_0681.JPG
DSC_0682.JPG
DSC_0683.JPG

Never having the chance to visit this museum previously I was willing to walk slow as I could to take pictures and look at the equipment. Most everyone else was way ahead of me.

DSC_0685.JPG
DSC_0686.JPG
DSC_0687.JPG
DSC_0688.JPG

As the tour guide yelled at me to catch up I hurried over to the open barn. Most are paid employees here with 109 total employees, they tried volunteers but not enough people volunteered to get all the work done each week.

SO here is what I saw when I turned the corner!

DSC_0689.JPG
DSC_0690.JPG
DSC_0693.JPG
DSC_0694.JPG
DSC_0695.JPG

Did you notice I still have not talked about the cab or riding in it yet? Was this ride worth my money? Oh YES indeed!

DSC_0697.JPG
DSC_0698.JPG
DSC_0699.JPG
DSC_0700.JPG
DSC_0701.JPG

Cab Ride!

DSC_0713.JPG
DSC_0714.JPG
DSC_0715.JPG

DSC_0716.JPG

As we headed out of the yard (Note fence and yard!) this IDIOT actually drove directly in front of us (here he is past the front of the locomotive) . Engineer was already laying on the horn and whistle and the truck kept driving over to the rails we missed him he is CLUELESS! Guess he thinks we will stop???!!!!

DSC_0717.JPG

TVRM

Nice ride wish it was longer of course (I always do!)

Thanks for the cab ride.

Yes, I handed the engineer a business card too!

DSC_0736.JPG
DSC_0737.JPG
DSC_0738.JPG
DSC_0739.JPG
DSC_0741.JPG

Let me know if you want to see more pictures, I travel a lot and volunteer for the railway where I take hundreds of pictures of everything I see.

Thanks for the report. The foamers in the audience will recognize many well-known steam engines in that engine house.

Now that we can post huge photos, I'm sure members would like to see your photos of the restoration of SP 9010.

Thanks for posting, glad we got the photo upload thing sorted out. We’d definitely like to see more photos, looking forward to seeing what else you have.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back