Tales of Tower 17

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

O/T. A Gulf Coast thunderstorm in all it's glory.
36448847756_cc71ddbaba_z.jpg

Yikes! :eek:

Between the gators and twisters, your local rail photo jaunts are not dull. :eek:

And now you can add hurricanes and floods to the mix.

Are you still above water? You will need the USS Helm to stay afloat as the Houston area receives a year's worth of rainfall in one week.

And now you can add hurricanes and floods to the mix.

Are you still above water? You will need the USS Helm to stay afloat as the Houston area receives a year's worth of rainfall in one week.

Yes. I left Richmond Friday for Tech, am currently back in Ruston. Was slated to leave Monday but Harvey accelerated things. Flooding was expected, but not this much.

My family's home is 1/4mi from the Brazos River behind a 57' levee. The record river level at Richmond is 54.9', set last year. The NWS is predicting it to crest at 59' tomorrow and stay at that height at least through Saturday. My family evacuted a few miles away with relatives. Thankfully there was a lot of warning so they've had plenty of time to get things moved upstairs and get out of the way. Time was something a lot of folks north of us didn't have last year. Never in my lifetime did I expect to see anything like what they're seeing now.

Railroad predictions/news.

Expect the UP Glidden sub to be closed beyond just for the storm. At 59' the Brazos will cover the bridge. There are photos of the bridge earlier in the thread. It would not surprise me if there are washouts on the eastern fill between the river and FM359. Hopefully scour under the bridge piers will not be as bad as last year due to extensive rip rap laid over the eastern bank itself and the structure of the new pier. The San Bernard River is supposed to set new records, I'm not sure how that will affect the UP trestle near East Bernard.

The BNSF Galveston sub was almost cut yesterday when a sinkhole opened up under FM762 in Rosenberg. It's about 30'-40' from the BNSF line. That's something to watch closely since that's the line that supplies coal to the W A Parish power station. There's another rail entrance to the plant but any trains entering it will do so from the east, and have to cross the Brazos. At 59' the Brazos will probably flood the BNSF bridge east of Thompsons in addition to a lot of the area surrounding Thompsons. If the power station floods and/or shuts down that's going to hurt bad. It's been a major blessing that most folks still have power in Houston.

http://www.kxxv.com/story/36227092/rosenberg-police-report-massive-sinkhole-update-on-road-closures

The KCS Rosenberg sub is an unknown right now. Probably some washouts. Glancing at the predictions for the Colorado River height, the bridge in Wharton should be fine. Not sure how the San Bernard will affect the KCS trestle.

So I was wrong about the levee, it's 58'. This morning NWS revised their forcasted crest to 57.5' so it's going be close. Last night the river was slated to crest at 59'.

Screenshot from a local news livestream. US90A and SH99.

US90 and SH99.JPG

Same view a little bit to the east on a dryer evening.

30 Seconds Over 90 (Custom-Small).jpg

Summer leftovers.

Coal drag passing Thompsons, a pair in Sugar Land, and a Grinstein crossing the Brazos River

36512370102_c5e904a508_z.jpg

36512382682_394a75032f_z.jpg

36543387351_057bda2f6c_z.jpg

36512385432_e94466e2ee_z.jpg

Summer Leftovers, Part 2

A trio of shots around the old Imperial Sugar factory in Sugar Land. Thus endeth Summer 2017.

36331530680_7d7cc16d30_z.jpg

36331527850_8f38735e6c_z.jpg

36680677086_d7da43b42d_z.jpg

The old Imperial Sugar Co. looks interesting. There was a model railroad module in one of the Model Railroader magazines based on Sugar Land in the late 40's-early 50's.

Half of photography is being simply being there. With less than 10min of daylight remaining a manifest led by an NS GP60 pulls out of the Dallas skyline yesterday evening.

37956417042_3875669687_z.jpg

37956423612_ea359296d3_z.jpg

Love those last two! Great work with that golden light.

Thanks. I think the second one may be my shot of the year.

Arrived back in Richmond. Got out this morning and took a couple shots. BNSF stack train at South Booth, and KCS unit train in Sugar Land.

37812517944_3a80dbb66f_z.jpg

26752322619_6c61b2b674_z.jpg

37640643475_7cce3ffdce_z.jpg

Went down to Port Lavaca on Sunday to visit family. Caught KCS intermodals at Kendleton and Louise. The KCS Holiday Express was actually in the Kendleton intermodal yard but I was unable to get pictures of it. After this it's back to Ruston and the Meridian Speedway.

37968390944_a086fcc930_z.jpg

37798526025_bbd03f92be_z.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back