Sri Lanka Railways

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Early Morning Filming at Fort Railway Station in Sri Lanka​

These are early morning trains filmed at Fort Railway Station in Sri Lanka. You can see Podi Menike Class S14 arrival and other passenger trains in this video.

Morning Trains during Rush Hour in Sri Lanka Railways​

These are peak hour trains filmed in Sri Lanka in the morning. You can watch crowded trains in this video.

Kandy Intercity Going Fast and Smooth in Sri Lanka Railways​

This is Colombo bound Kandy intercity train with Class M9 866 going very fast and smooth in Sri Lanka Railways! This is from Rambukkana to Gampaha section. Enjoy the fast ride.

Railfanning at Kandy Railway Station in Sri Lanka​

This is exploring and railfanning around Kandy railway station in Sri Lanka. Kandy railway station is one of the major railway stations in Sri Lanka. There are many trains departing from Kandy railway station every day.

Amazing and Unique Manual Locomotive Coupling in Sri Lanka Railways​

This is how locomotives in Sri Lanka get coupled using manual methods which is a fascinating moment to witness.

Train Number 4085 Rajarata Rejini Colombo Fort to Vavuniya in Sri Lanka Railways​

This is Rajarata Rejini train number 4085 full train journey from Colombo fort to Ragama Junction in Sri Lanka Railways. You can see the train is going fast and smoothly.

The Ella Odyssey - The Special Tourist Luxury Train from Kandy to Ella in Sri Lanka Railways

Introducing "The Ella Odyssey ", Journey of a Life Time! This is the latest tourist special train introduced by Sri Lanka Railways. This will run daily from Kandy to Ella and the same train will return on the same day.

Upcountry railway line is known as one of the most scenic railway lines in the world. The special thing about this train is, it will stop at attractive places for a few minutes. This will allow passengers to take photographs and videos and enjoy the ride.

There are four air-conditioned class compartments and three second-class compartments on this train. First-class seats are spacious and 360' rotatable and also have 230v socket outlets. Also, you have individual lights and a 3.5mm headset port with a volume controller.

Railfanning near Wanawasala Railway Station in Sri Lanka​

This is a substation on the mainline. All the trains running on the mainline go through this station. This is the fifth station of the main line from Colombo Fort.

Filming at Colombo Fort Railway Station in Sri Lanka​

This is a filming session at Colombo Fort railway station from a top view angle for a different experience for my railway fans.

Important News! You Can Reserve Train Tickets Online Now in Sri Lanka​

Sri Lanka Railways have introduced an online reservation system starting from today and you can easily book tickets using your credit card, debit card, or mCash mobitel option. In the near future, there will be also an app introduced for this.

Full Train Journey from Colombo Fort to Galle in Sri Lanka Railways​

This is the entire train journey from Colombo Fort to Galle in Sri Lanka Railways. I have recorded video using a GoPro Hero 7 Camera and the audio separately using a Zoom H1 recorder. Therefore, please use your headphones to get the experience and enjoy this beautiful ride.

Hi there!
I’ve just joined but I wanted to say that I had a very enjoyable holiday when I stayed at the Mount Lavinia hotel about ten years ago now. I did some train watching at the local station and took myself to the capital Columbo by train one day. That was quite an adventure!
I got to see the railway museum and do some more train watching on the main station.
A wonderful country with friendly people, marvellous scenery and great food!

An EMD export loco (G12?) passing my hotel.

A six axle diesel seen from the hotel.

Approaching the main station in Columbo.

Some of the exhibits on display at the museum.

Various builders plates in the museum.

You can really see the broad gauge here.

This six axle diesel is named - in honour of where it came from, I guess.

I apologise for the rather poor quality of these pictures, I’m not much of a photographer and the light conditions fooled me or my camera! But I hope they are of interest.
Cheers,
John

Last edited:
Hi there!
I’ve just joined but I wanted to say that I had a very enjoyable holiday when I stayed at the Mount Lavinia hotel about ten years ago now. I did some train watching at the local station and took myself to the capital Columbo by train one day. That was quite an adventure!
I got to see the railway museum and do some more train watching on the main station.
A wonderful country with friendly people, marvellous scenery and great food!

An EMD export loco (G12?) passing my hotel.

A six axle diesel seen from the hotel.

Approaching the main station in Columbo.

Some of the exhibits on display at the museum.

Various builders plates in the museum.

You can really see the broad gauge here.

This six axle diesel is named - in honour of where it came from, I guess.

I apologise for the rather poor quality of these pictures, I’m not much of a photographer and the light conditions fooled me or my camera! But I hope they are of interest.
Cheers,
John
Really wonderful photos John. Thank you so much for sharing these. Did you take the Badulla/Ella train? That is the most scenic train in Sri Lanka.

Wonderful Memories of Badulla Train Trip in Sri Lanka Railways

You can see Badulla - Kandy mixed train, Badulla new night mail, and Badulla - Colombo express train with Class S14. There is also a tablet exchange moment at the Demodara railway station.

Exploring Galle Railway Station in Sri Lanka​

This is Galle railway station in Sri Lanka. This is a famous railway station among foreigners and it is located in the middle of Galle town.

Really wonderful photos John. Thank you so much for sharing these. Did you take the Badulla/Ella train? That is the most scenic train in Sri Lanka.
Thanks Poorna!
No, sadly I didn’t get chance to take this train, much as I would have liked to have done. We were there for a significant birthday for my wife but she was suffering ill health so I mainly stayed close by the hotel.
Thanks for posting the video of this train, it’s enjoyable viewing.
Cheers,
John

Thanks Poorna!
No, sadly I didn’t get chance to take this train, much as I would have liked to have done. We were there for a significant birthday for my wife but she was suffering ill health so I mainly stayed close by the hotel.
Thanks for posting the video of this train, it’s enjoyable viewing.
Cheers,
John

Okay, I see. Hope she is doing fine and well. Please do come to visit us again. However, Railways in Sri Lanka are still the same. Not a lot has changed since your last visit except for new Indian trains.

Fascinating and Fast Train Journey with Queen of Rajarata from Galle to Matara in Sri Lanka Railways​

This is Vavuniya to Beliatta Rajarata Rejini express train going fast from Galle railway station to Matara railway station in Sri Lanka. Canadian giant Class M4 locomotive hauls the train fast and smooth in this video.

Class M9 French Locomotive Applying Smooth Dynamic Braking in Sri Lanka Railways​

This is Kandy to Colombo morning Intercity express train hauling with Class M9 french locomotive in Sri Lanka Railways. You can listen to smooth dynamic braking sounds in this video.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back